Paramecium busaria, Frontonia, or other?

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
Numanoid

Paramecium busaria, Frontonia, or other?

#1 Post by Numanoid » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BthvqKZSc0

I found this in some lake water near my house. I googled and thought it was a Paramecium busaria, but another viewer suggested it was a Frontonia. What do you think? How did you come to that conclusion (in other words, what should I be looking for to positively identify it in the future?)

I'm very new to this so I don't have knowledge to even search for what they could be. Every day I learn quite a bit though by viewing others' finds.

Thanks!

Bruce Taylor

Re: Paramecium busaria, Frontonia, or other?

#2 Post by Bruce Taylor » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:07 am

It is neither Paramecium nor Frontonia. At a few points--most clearly, at 0:32--we see an oral structure called the "cytopharyngeal basket" on the side of the cell, in the anterior (a structure of rigid microtubules, useful for eating cyanobacteria). That puts your ciliate in the order Nassulida. It is also uniformly covered with extrusomes (trichocysts). These are not distributed at odd angles (as in Nassula ornata), but very closely spaced and perpendicular to the outer membranes of the cell. To me, that suggests it is in the family Furgasoniidae (Furgasonia or Parafurgasonia). The overall appearance of the ciliary rows (nicely revealed at 0:33) is also consistent with Furgasonia. Do you know the size of the creature?

KD Arvidsson

#3 Post by KD Arvidsson » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:17 pm

Very nice and sharp film! //KD
Microscope Nikon Labophot 2
Panasonic GH4 and HY-2307 Camera+Euromex adapter.
Westcoast of Sweden.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjsgbq ... dyl2x0Atpw

Bruce Taylor

#4 Post by Bruce Taylor » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:28 pm

Because of the cell's shape (rather Frontonia-like!), I think it is likely to be Furgasonia blochmanni, described in 1967 as Cyclogramma blochmanni: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf ... PsAxkgC1KQ

DonSchaeffer

#5 Post by DonSchaeffer » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:02 am

great pictures. I see these all the time. I figured they were some kind of paramecium, but really didn't know.

Bruce Taylor

#6 Post by Bruce Taylor » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:53 pm

Further to the above, here's a labelled still from your video, showing the cytopharyngeal basket:

Furgasonia.JPG
Furgasonia.JPG (17.63 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
And here's a pic from an article on Furgasonia blochmanni (note the trichocysts, all around the outside of the cell, and the centrally-located contractile vacuole):

Furgasonia blochmanni.JPG
Furgasonia blochmanni.JPG (59.9 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
(From Part I of Eisler, 1988: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 3988800129 )

By the way, the algae in the cytoplasm of your organism are food, not symbionts (as in Paramecium bursaria). Algal endosymbionts are perfectly uniform in size and colour, while ingested algae will show gradations from bright green to brown, depending on phase of digestion. Often, the size of ingested particles varies, too.

Numanoid

#7 Post by Numanoid » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:05 am

Thank you all for the information and kind words on the video. I learned a lot reading through it. As I read through Bruce's reply I googled the various terms and looked for them in my video. It was quite cool seeing cytopharyngeal basket after you mentioned it. I thought it was some kind of focusing or texture artifact. It's a good reminder to vary focus of a subject while observing it.

I'm bummed that the algae isn't chlorella, but now I have a new goal to find some endosymbionts. Your tip that ingested algae varies in color is also helpful.

Looks like I'm going to have to change my video title. :D

Thanks again!

Bruce Taylor

#8 Post by Bruce Taylor » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:06 pm

Numanoid wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:05 am
It was quite cool seeing cytopharyngeal basket after you mentioned it. I thought it was some kind of focusing or texture artifact. It's a good reminder to vary focus of a subject while observing it.
Taxonomy makes hidden things visible. :)