Hot plate?

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Gasman

Hot plate?

#1 Post by Gasman » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:50 pm

Hi guys
I’m interested in what you guys use for a hot plate. At the moment I’m growing crystals and taking images of them by drying out chemicals on a slide over a small candle tealite but I’m sure something better can be used. I was thinking of making one from a silicone heater pad and a digital thermostat or maybe a coffee warmer would suffice as I’m not sure of the temp reqd for crystal growth maybe 70 to 80 deg C?
Thanks
Steve

jimur

Re: Hot plate?

#2 Post by jimur » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:18 am

Although I have a slide warmer and have used it preparing slides in crystal growth I generally get better results with longer drying times. I would think a coffee warmer with a small ceramic tile sitting atop it would work well.
"You're never too old to have a happy childhood"
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

Gasman

#3 Post by Gasman » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:48 am

Thanks for that Jimur, they are cheap enough to have a try with and if it doesn't work I can keep my coffee warm 🙂

jimur

#4 Post by jimur » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:34 am

Gasman wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:48 am
Thanks for that Jimur, they are cheap enough to have a try with and if it doesn't work I can keep my coffee warm 🙂
With the proper size ceramic tile it could multi-task by drying a few slides and keep your coffee warm at the same time. :)
"You're never too old to have a happy childhood"
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D