Question: What is the blue filter for?

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
BizarreBlaziken

Question: What is the blue filter for?

#1 Post by BizarreBlaziken » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:54 pm

Hey all!
I'm sort of a beginner when it comes to microscopy and I just have a quick question for the experts. When I brought my microscope it came with a blue fliter and I was wondering what is it exactly for? Does it have a specific use?
Thanks!

DonSchaeffer

Re: Question: What is the blue filter for?

#2 Post by DonSchaeffer » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:57 pm

They usually come with some microscopes because the native light source is presumed to be too red.

deBult

#3 Post by deBult » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:39 am

Net result of using the bleu filter is the background of your viewed specimen will get a more “daylight” character: it will move from “yellowish” to “blue sky”.

microb

#4 Post by microb » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:56 am

BizarreBlaziken wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:54 pm
Hey all!
I'm sort of a beginner when it comes to microscopy and I just have a quick question for the experts. When I brought my microscope it came with a blue fliter and I was wondering what is it exactly for? Does it have a specific use?
Thanks!
When inserted for the light source, it makes the color more white balanced. Before and after shown below:
Attachments
4x_0.01mm_1K.jpg
4x_0.01mm_1K.jpg (29.78 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
bluefilter_1K.jpg
bluefilter_1K.jpg (43.7 KiB) Viewed 2865 times

Greg Howald

#5 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:20 am

If you have halogen lighting the blue filter makes the light to be more like daylight, thus allowing close
to the true color of the specimen to be seen. Some microscopes with halogen lighting have a built in blue filter mounted under the diffuser but above the bulb for that purpose.
LED lighting is generally found to be a little softer so a blue filter may not be needed.
Microbe hunter has a YouTube video where he points these things out.
I hope this is helpful.
Greg