A very old Reichert rotary microtome that I'm thinking of buying

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
mrsonchus

A very old Reichert rotary microtome that I'm thinking of buying

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:36 pm

Hi and help! - is anyone able to tell me anything at all about this very old Reichert microtome - I'm considering buying one and wonder if I may be unwise to do so - I can't afford anywhere near the price of newer models...
Here are a couple of pictures:
The actual machine for sale....
This is the one I'm considering....
This is the one I'm considering....
old_reichert.jpg (110.95 KiB) Viewed 6712 times
I'm considering buying it from a very reputable supplier that I use constantly but it's age frightens me - I think it's a 'Reichert Om' or something similar. I want to use it to cut paraffin-sections but am unsure about buying one of this age - apparently it is able to take a replaceable-blade holder - an absolute must for me... I could do with a manual but I've been unable to find one online after a lot of searching and asking Leica too - they haven't been able to help but are going to ask a German company if they can help......

Would it be better (safer and with a better prognosis) perhaps to buy a Chines-made copy of an old design, brand new from the same supplier instead - they sell these 'YDM' microtomes that definitely take the replaceable-blade holder and are very basic-looking but may well give me better service on account of their 'newness' - although they are probably not as well engineered as an old machine - I'm in a quandry as the cost is a lot of money to me and I need to get a machine that will actually allow me to cut good sections... I'd hate to waste my money! :) Any advice greatly appreciated...

Here are a couple of pictures of the 'YDM's - the white one is supposed to be better-engineered that the more basic one, although I suspect that they are the same 'under the hood...'
The cheaper one...
The cheaper 'basic YDM'...
The cheaper 'basic YDM'...
basic_ydm.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 6712 times
The more expensive version...
better_YDM.jpg
better_YDM.jpg (63.07 KiB) Viewed 6712 times
Any thoughts?
My options appear to be:
1) the old Reichert
2) the 'basic' YDM - same price new as the old Reichert
3) the 'better and improved' YDM - about 30% more expensive than 1) or 2)...

I'm going to buy a replaceable-blade holder too for whichever on I decide on..
Any advice or thoughts very welcome indeed - help... :)
Last edited by mrsonchus on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John B

Peter

Re: A very old Reichert rotary microtome that I'm thinking of buying

#2 Post by Peter » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:01 pm

Hi John,
The photo of the old microtome shows it in very good (looks brand new) condition. Presumably this is an as is photo not an as new photo.
Dose the Reichert come with user manual? If not this may be a reason for requesting the price to be adjusted downward.
If the Reichert works I see no problem buying it.
Hope this helps.
Peter.

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:31 pm

Peter wrote:Hi John,
If the Reichert works I see no problem buying it.
Hope this helps.
Peter.
Hi Peter - thank you for your prompt help - this is an 'as-is' picture and it does look very 'clean'. The company is very reliable, I've spent a lot with them (about 95% of all my equipment & supplies) and have never been let-down. They are also superb when it comes to advice and support so I'm very happy to purchase any of the 3 microtomes from them.

I'm not sure if it comes with a manual - I stupidly didn't ask (I think I got a little over-excited :oops: ) when discussing it over the telephone! Leica have been back to me and I'm afraid their 'German contact' has been unable to help with a manual for 'a machine of that age' - which is I suppose no surprise - but Leica were very helpful and really spent time trying to help me - very impressed with their attitude!

I'll have to assume that there's no manual - although I've since found some online resources that, whilst not concerning the actual model, are clearly of the same fundamental design...

Sooo - I've ordered it today and have also agreed a very good price with time to pay! I should be taking delivery of it, complete with a replaceable-blade holder and a pack of 50 blades, in about 3 weeks! Can't wait! I've just mentioned to my darling Wife that I may need another 'work-area' (table :oops: ) 'to establish and implement an efficient work-flow' in my 'lab' (dining-room) and have been 'given the green light!' - what a woman my Wife is! :D

Botany - hours of pleasure, fun & discovery! I love my microscope! :D

Thanks again for your input Peter - It's bolstered my confidence... :)
John B

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:07 pm

I can't see that not being an excellent microtome. It probably can be used as is but it had a conveyor belt attachment originally, that the little rotating drum activated. It is an OM-S, I think, unless they made a simpler model, without the conveyor belt.
The little black knob and small hole towards the right , fixed a support arm for that microtome, which held the end of a conveyor belt. As sections were cut, the wax ribbon went out along the belt. It was billed as a microtome for examining the 3D structure of objects, in sectioned increments, I guess.
Here is a screenshot. Sorry, can't do that. On second thought , here is a link. I have never found I could do screenshots here. I always get a messsage, that the image is too many pixels wide. Does anyone know how to send a screenshot?
Page 33 http://www.science-info.net/docs/reiche ... dicine.pdf

billbillt

#5 Post by billbillt » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:05 pm

Here is a try at a screenshot:
Attachments
old reichert.JPG
old reichert.JPG (54.6 KiB) Viewed 6664 times

billbillt

#6 Post by billbillt » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:06 pm

Worked for me...
BillT

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:16 pm

apochronaut wrote:I can't see that not being an excellent microtome. It probably can be used as is but it had a conveyor belt attachment originally, that the little rotating drum activated. It is an OM-S, I think, unless they made a simpler model, without the conveyor belt.
The little black knob and small hole towards the right , fixed a support arm for that microtome, which held the end of a conveyor belt. As sections were cut, the wax ribbon went out along the belt. It was billed as a microtome for examining the 3D structure of objects, in sectioned increments, I guess.
Here is a screenshot. Sorry, can't do that. On second thought , here is a link. I have never found I could do screenshots here. I always get a messsage, that the image is too many pixels wide. Does anyone know how to send a screenshot?
Page 33 http://www.science-info.net/docs/reiche ... dicine.pdf
Hi apo' and thanks for your help. I ended-up finding an unused Shandon 'Finess' 325 for sale online the night before buying the Reichert, the most unbelievable piece of luck - the Shandon even came with 10 replaceable low-profile blades - for 1/3 of what I was about to pay for the Reichert...
See my post regarding the Shandon and how I've been getting to grips with it!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1346&hilit=my+new+microtome
John B

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:08 am

Very good . I was wondering, because I did see all about the Shandon, which looks absolutely beautiful. Just thought I would put that info. in.

mrsonchus

#9 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:32 am

apochronaut wrote:Very good . I was wondering, because I did see all about the Shandon, which looks absolutely beautiful. Just thought I would put that info. in.
Many thanks for you help apo' - well done finding the Reichert catalogue - I tried but had no luck!
:)
John B