Swapping the Phase Contrast Annuli in an Olympus NIC/Phase Condenser.

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
MicroMan2

Swapping the Phase Contrast Annuli in an Olympus NIC/Phase Condenser.

#1 Post by MicroMan2 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:38 pm

I have a question regarding the feasibility of swapping the phase annuli of an Olympus BH2 NIC Phase Condenser with other DIC prisms. If Olympus made both the Universal Condenser and the original DIC condenser; Is there not any backwards compatibility that can allow one to theoretically remove a phase annuli and replace it with a DIC prism Eg. The UNP60Oil? I would like to the thoughts of any dedicated Olympus users out there.

PeteM

Re: Swapping the Phase Contrast Annuli in an Olympus NIC/Phase Condenser.

#2 Post by PeteM » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:22 am

Swaps are possible, but there is a caution and a complication.

The caution is to make sure that any condenser prism is meant for the BH2 series, and not for a BX.

The complication is that the phase annuli often have a smaller diameter than the DIC prisms - especially the higher magnification DIC prisms.. In those cases, the only way to make space for another prism is to machine a larger diameter recess. I've done this - and there was just barely enough room in the metal to add one more space for a DIC prism. In addition, you'll have to take care to get the prism properly aligned and centered - those provisions won't be there as for the normal DIC spots.

viktor j nilsson

Re: Swapping the Phase Contrast Annuli in an Olympus NIC/Phase Condenser.

#3 Post by viktor j nilsson » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:26 am

This is what I've done with my AH-NC NIC/phase contrast condenser for my Vanox AH.

I've replaced the phase rings with some Nikon Optiphot epi-DIC prisms. Through trial and error, it has allowed me to expand the range of objectives I can get good DIC with somewhat. As Pete mentions, it won't work for high NA objectives - you need a big prism to fill the aperture of high NA objectives, and there's only one position that's big enough.

It's not the exact same condenser as your BH2-NC, but might give you some ideas.