Cambridge Rocker for Botanical sections

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Gordhandas

Cambridge Rocker for Botanical sections

#1 Post by Gordhandas » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:25 pm

I have recently taken an interest in microtomy and have acquired a Cambridge rocking microtome together with some nice books on making botanical sections.
cam1.jpg
cam1.jpg (236.37 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
Thanks to a couple of friends and some cheap “fleabay” purchases I have acquired all the items I need to start to learn how to use the microtome.

Currently I am working on making a wax oven from a donated mini-oven.
cam2.jpg
cam2.jpg (127.61 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
The oven only works with a 60 minute timer and the first thing I have to do is to bypass the timer so that it can remain on for longer.
cam3.jpg
cam3.jpg (164.43 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
The next thing is to build a housing for a PID temperature controller and incorporate the electrics to run the oven.
cam4.jpg
cam4.jpg (106.75 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
Once that is complete then I will experiment making wax blocks and learn to section them. Once I have got the hang of this I will move on to working with specimens.
cam5.jpg
cam5.jpg (169.64 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
I hope to detail my learning journey, what went right and what went wrong here. I have had an opportunity to read posts from other contributors on this topic and hopefully I will receive constructive feedback for the community here.

MichaelG.

Re: Cambridge Rocker for Botanical sections

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:57 am

I will be following you with great interest

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

TonyT

Re: Cambridge Rocker for Botanical sections

#3 Post by TonyT » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:00 pm

My biggest problem is with wax infiltration - air spaces in plant vessels. Thinking I, and you, might need a vacuum oven.
New Brunswick
Canada