Suitable condenser replacement for Olympus vanox Ah-aac?

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Ryanb

Suitable condenser replacement for Olympus vanox Ah-aac?

#1 Post by Ryanb » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:30 pm

Hey y’all, I want to get an AH-AAC condenser for my Olympus vanox AH since it comes with swing out filter holders, but it’s not widely available. Anyone know if a CH series or similar condenser would fit and has filter holding capabilities?

Thank y’all for your guidance! It’s helped me progress every step of my journey :)

perrywespa

Re: Suitable condenser replacement for Olympus vanox Ah-aac?

#2 Post by perrywespa » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:00 pm

I have a CH-2 with stock condenser and had to get the CH2 FH snap in filter holder for it. For polarizing, I use a 40.5mm camera filter over the illuminator and put a small piece of polarizing film under the head.
Perry
Insatiably curious.

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:22 pm

The Vanox condenser models I've seen have a sort of square collar used to fit them into the condenser carrier. If you have a spare, or can make one up, then you'd like be able to use other condensers that are collar mounted and the same diameter.

If you have that square part, check the ID diameter. For the CH2 I believe the condenser fixing is around 36.75mm. BH condensers should be about the same.

The condenser you're looking for is at the high end: high numerical aperture, aplanatic, achromatic, and with oblique movements built in. The equivalent BH2 condenser (dovetail mount, but conceivably adaptable to a square plate) typically sells around $300.

FWIW, I've gone the other way - adapting both a Vanox achromat aplanat and a Vanox DIC condenser to a BH2 mount.

If you're just looking for filters, consider mounting them over the field iris. If you're looking to place various stops near the condenser iris aperture, perhaps Saul has an eBay kit that will fit whatever condenser you end up with.

woyjwjl

#4 Post by woyjwjl » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:12 am

Ryanb wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:30 pm
Hey y’all, I want to get an AH-AAC condenser for my Olympus vanox AH since it comes with swing out filter holders, but it’s not widely available. Anyone know if a CH series or similar condenser would fit and has filter holding capabilities?

Thank y’all for your guidance! It’s helped me progress every step of my journey :)
I think there's everything you want here.

https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... 28&t=15496

If you are interested, you can contact me through Private messages.
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange