B&L B Stand

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Scoper

B&L B Stand

#1 Post by Scoper » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:40 pm

Could someone show the underside of the B&L B stand?

I have one that is missing the complete mirror mount.

Thanks

Scoper

Re: B&L B Stand

#2 Post by Scoper » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:15 pm

I should mention that mirror part that was included has a typical concave mirror and a translucent (flat?) reflector. The translucent reflector is tarnished (delamination?)..any suggestions as to what to replace the surface with?

Thanks

BramHuntingNematodes

#3 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:16 am

You could try white paper. It's not extremely reflective and really designed to have the Nicholas shining right one it.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Scoper

#4 Post by Scoper » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:31 am

Thank you very much for posting great detailed photos.

I spent over a hour searching on the Web with no luck..apparently amateur microscopy is not a popular subject.

Scoper

#5 Post by Scoper » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:41 am

In regards to the search for a replacement for the translucent reflector, the solution seems to be the many types of packaging for food stuffs we are blessed with.

So far the candidates are a foil cover for cashews, a chocolate chip cookie package, a foil seal from a peanut butter jar, the unpolished side of aluminum foil and the foil side of a hot cocoa package. A foil surface is used widely to maintain freshness of the product.

The B&L mirror is very well made with tight tolerances for the mirror/mount..I suspect any attempt to try to remove the translucent mirror will unwanted damage to the mount. At this time, I am planning mounting the replacement reflective surface to the mounting using contact glue..a far more gentler solution.