Slide Drying Rack

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
rnabholz

Slide Drying Rack

#1 Post by rnabholz » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:17 pm

I have confessed on this board to being a terrible procrastinator with regard to cleaning my slides after use. After use and a quick rinse, I toss them into a stainless bowl and there they sit until I have the time and gumption to wash them.

That process can be frustrating as well. Cleaning them, and then drying them I found often left them with some lint from the drying cloth or spots from remaining water. I changed my process to make a dip in distilled water the last step, but I still needed get them dry, preferably without touching them.

I thought that maybe a drying rack would do the trick. I could just let them air dry. So I went about putting together something that would suit.

Below you see what I came up with. The only key component is the mini "slinky". They are widely available, and often sold in the mini size as kids party favors for very little money. The "backbone" of my rack is a piece of aluminum C channel. I happened to have it laying around. Almost anything if a similar form would work, wood, plastic, PVC, whatever you have on hand. A material impervious to water is an advantage if you can choose.

The only construction step is to put in two pegs, one at each end on which to "hang" the slinky. I used bolts and nuts, but nails, screws would get the job done.

When done, you simply stretch out the slinky between the pegs, place the entire set up on a towel. Then after the final rinse, simply drop the slide in one of the slots created by the slinky. When it is full, I cover it all with a paper towel, or newspaper until they are dry to keep airborne dust off of them. Because they dry on edge, there are no remaining water spots, and because I did not use a drying towel, there is no lint. Everything is clean as a whistle.

Simple, cheap and effective.

Thought some of you might be interested.
Attachments
SLDRParts.jpg
SLDRParts.jpg (102 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
SLDRReady.jpg
SLDRReady.jpg (135.08 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
SLDRFull.jpg
SLDRFull.jpg (137.15 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
SLDRClose.jpg
SLDRClose.jpg (96.96 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
SLDRLineup.jpg
SLDRLineup.jpg (84.01 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
Last edited by rnabholz on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

75RR

Re: Slide Drying Rack

#2 Post by 75RR » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:39 pm

Like the slinky colours!
I use something similar, well, I lean them vertically against a wooden block and let them drip dry after rinsing.
Dust is a problem as you say.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

gekko

#3 Post by gekko » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:19 pm

A very creative mind! I would copy your idea if I were industrious enough to use your methods, but I'm not :( .

rnabholz

#4 Post by rnabholz » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:20 pm

75RR wrote:Like the slinky colours!.
They had red and rainbow, I went for the wild side....

rnabholz

#5 Post by rnabholz » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:27 pm

gekko wrote:A very creative mind! I would copy your idea if I were industrious enough to use your methods, but I'm not :( .
I suspect unlike me, you are not so slothful as to end up with 50 slides to wash at one time, so any industriousness that you may attribute to me comes in unreliable spurts..... ;^)

gekko

#6 Post by gekko » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:37 pm

rnabholz wrote:
gekko wrote:A very creative mind! I would copy your idea if I were industrious enough to use your methods, but I'm not :( .
I suspect unlike me, you are not so slothful as to end up with 50 slides to wash at one time, so any industriousness that you may attribute to me comes in unreliable spurts..... ;^)
Well, I do it the easy way: I use just one slide and cover glass, then rinse it under the tap, wipe it with a microfiber cloth wet with alcohol and dry it, and it will be ready for the next time (either the same session or next time). Of course, if every second counts, then I am wasting some 20 to 30 seconds to clean one set (slide and cover glass), but I am simply far too lazy to want to wash then dry ten or twenty sets, so I would procrastinate for ever (I still have my clocks set to daylight saving time :oops: )

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:08 am

Very elegant solution my friend - very nicely made indeed! :) The colours are a bonus too! :D

I use a stainless-steel cutlery-rack - the horizontal wire-mesh kind that fits in a drawer, the ribs of the wires are just spaced right to allow slides to be put in (stood-up) at an angle of about 75 degrees - I can get about 30 into each batch this way - and I clean in batches of 24 as that's the size of the container & rack combinations I use for the de-wax and alcohol bath stages of cleaning. Then I wash them all in washing-up liquid and hot water, with a warm-rinse on the way to the rack - the rack with slides I put on my small desk with one of those plastic plant-propagator transparent lids with the sliding vent in the top over the whole thing to keep the dust at bay. Then straight back into a nice clean slide-box for re-use!

:D
John B

rnabholz

#8 Post by rnabholz » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:16 am

mrsonchus wrote:Very elegant solution my friend - very nicely made indeed! :) The colours are a bonus too! :D

I use a stainless-steel cutlery-rack - the horizontal wire-mesh kind that fits in a drawer, the ribs of the wires are just spaced right to allow slides to be put in (stood-up) at an angle of about 75 degrees - I can get about 30 into each batch this way - and I clean in batches of 24 as that's the size of the container & rack combinations I use for the de-wax and alcohol bath stages of cleaning. Then I wash them all in washing-up liquid and hot water, with a warm-rinse on the way to the rack - the rack with slides I put on my small desk with one of those plastic plant-propagator transparent lids with the sliding vent in the top over the whole thing to keep the dust at bay. Then straight back into a nice clean slide-box for re-use!

:D
Sounds like you have a solid system. Glad to hear that someone else lets them pile up a bit....

mrsonchus

#9 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:26 am

This is the contraption, works very well,
ws_slides_drying.JPG
ws_slides_drying.JPG (108.87 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
I also use it, as in the picture, to drain newly floated-out sections before drying them in the air-drying food dehydrator.

I use these containers for slide-cleaning, 1 for wax-clearing and one for an OH soak if needed, each holds 24 slides and has a really handy rack with handle that lowers the slides into the pot - I get them from China via e-bay and they're about £6 (GB) each - very handy..
staining_jar_pic.JPG
staining_jar_pic.JPG (28.99 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
From here...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Plastic ... 43e28bfbcc
:)

This is the air-drying cabinet I use to dry wax-sections onto slides horizontally, after draining in the rack vertically - this works perfectly,
ws_dehydrator_booklet_cover.jpg
ws_dehydrator_booklet_cover.jpg (38.4 KiB) Viewed 8876 times
Here it is in action..
ws_dehydrator_front_view.jpg
ws_dehydrator_front_view.jpg (70.86 KiB) Viewed 8876 times
This beauty can hold about 250 slides - the trays are very useful indeed.

Works perfectly for the task! Amazing how many kitchen/cookery devices are perfect for histology.. :)
Last edited by mrsonchus on Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John B

KurtM

#10 Post by KurtM » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:43 pm

It's always great to see what others do in their home labs, very interesting stuff! I definitely learn more from this kind of post than many others. Thanks, y'all! :geek:
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/