What kinds of bench furniture and storage do you have for your hobby?

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Hobbyst46

Re: What kinds of bench furniture and storage do you have for your hobby?

#31 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:20 pm

Anti-vibration isolators:

A small tip from someone whose only facility for microscopy right now is a plywood desk.
The weights of the microscope and of the bench contribute to the stability, however there are other relatively affordable remedies against vibrations.
I use Sorbothane sheets, available from Thorlabs and other sources. Just cut with scissors and place underneath the microscope...

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9. ... up_id=6421

einman

#32 Post by einman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:25 pm

Thanks for the advice. This is very interesting as I have had some difficulties while taking photos.

IanW

#33 Post by IanW » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:Anti-vibration isolators:

A small tip from someone whose only facility for microscopy right now is a plywood desk.
The weights of the microscope and of the bench contribute to the stability, however there are other relatively affordable remedies against vibrations.
I use Sorbothane sheets, available from Thorlabs and other sources. Just cut with scissors and place underneath the microscope...

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9. ... up_id=6421

Great advice thanks
Zeiss Jena NF, Zeiss Standard 18 and WL

McConkey

#34 Post by McConkey » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:04 am

This topic caught my eye and I love being able to see where people get to enjoy the hobby! There are some really incredible workspaces and some really beautiful desks out there! Here is my contribution to this lovely topic!
Attachments
IMG_4821.jpg
IMG_4821.jpg (370.67 KiB) Viewed 12140 times
Karl
AO21 with Canon M3

Nance

#35 Post by Nance » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:02 am

really enjoyed this thread - nice to see everyone's space. inspiring. I have no order going yet - can't wait to get the prep stage finished, get organized and have a workable system in place... and my own speciman 'pond' growing. 8-)

Pat Thielen

#36 Post by Pat Thielen » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:23 am

Lilly Begonia wrote:Oh this is an alarming thread for me. Not long ago I put an 8 ft. table into my front from for one of my computers and it's large disk array. Other things began populating it, and now it's the microscope, and all that goes with it. Now I will have to put up another 8 ft. table for that, and find a way to connect the microscope to the Mac on the first table, and I don't see how to do that outside of buying a 3rd Mac. Ewwwww!

I'm afraid what I'm about to ask is very stupid... Here it comes: Not being able to visualize your room / table layout I'm wondering if something as simple as a longer cable from the microscope to the Mac would be all you need. I'm sure you've thought of this so don't hit me -- I may be missing what you're saying. Also, one thing I discovered is that when I had my microscope sitting away from my PC it was very inconvenient to use it and take photos and video. This was because I would have to roll over to the computer to get a good look at the screen and in some cases activate the camera from the computer. Also, because the floor wasn't cement, the sample would shake whenever I moved my chair. It was so much easier when I moved my evil laboratory of doom into the basement and I could have the scope right next to the computer. I have no idea if that would work for you; having the scope next to the Mac -- Just a thought. A second Mac seems really cool but a bit expensive for what may be an easy fix.
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

Hobbyst46

#37 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:42 am

We are in the process of renovating a cellar and I've carved out an 8' x 12' space for microscopy work. This won't be reality for another few months so I haven't done much real planning other than a very sturdy, washable work surface with lots and lots of electrical outlets. I'd be interested in any specific suggestions. Thanks
Sounds like what you planned is most appropriate.

I would also think about room illumination. Common house lights are often too dim, especially for easy, precise handling of small optical and mechanical items. On the other hand, certain microscope illumination types, such as fluorescence, are more convenient to use in relative darkness around the eyepieces. So a combination of lamp fixtures may be wanted. If possible, these should hang on the walls or from the ceiling, to save bench space.

einman

#38 Post by einman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:08 am

Very Nice Karl!!

Pat Thielen

#39 Post by Pat Thielen » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:25 am

einman wrote:Very Nice Karl!!

I don't think I've ever envisioned a work area as neat and clean as Karl's. I think he's making us all look bad! :lol:
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

McConkey

#40 Post by McConkey » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:35 am

Pat Thielen wrote:
einman wrote:Very Nice Karl!!

I don't think I've ever envisioned a work area as neat and clean as Karl's. I think he's making us all look bad! :lol:

Thanks einman! ahah Oh c'mon Pat! I see your neatly organized containers! :P
Karl
AO21 with Canon M3

IanW

#41 Post by IanW » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:34 am

McConkey wrote:This topic caught my eye and I love being able to see where people get to enjoy the hobby! There are some really incredible workspaces and some really beautiful desks out there! Here is my contribution to this lovely topic!
Fantastic. I like the stacked wood that produces further storage on top of your desk. I might try that out myself.
Zeiss Jena NF, Zeiss Standard 18 and WL

coominya

#42 Post by coominya » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:30 am

Hobbyst46 wrote:Anti-vibration isolators:
I bought a laminated desk with steel legs but then found it wasn't as stable as it looked. I moved it into a corner and pressed it tight against the two adjacent brick walls. That made a huge difference. Very stable now.

Being new to the hobby I have the luxury of a small setup. Just one sample jar and my trusty old ECE

Hobbyst46

#43 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:07 pm

You did well to support the desk against the walls. A desk with only legs and no crossbars or transverse beams between the legs can never be sturdy enough. The closterium photo is nice as well. I started with an Android phone camera and the Open Camera application.

75RR

#44 Post by 75RR » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:08 am

Nice uncluttered desk ;)
If you need even more stability I suppose you could fix the table legs to the wall.

Nice looking Testate amoeba
Best site I have found on them: http://www.arcella.nl/overview-all
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

coominya

#45 Post by coominya » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:05 am

Hobbyst46 wrote:The closterium photo is nice as well. I started with an Android phone camera and the Open Camera application.
lol, I stole that photo, from here think. Makes a great desktop.

coominya

#46 Post by coominya » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:25 am

75RR wrote:Nice uncluttered desk ;)
If you need even more stability I suppose you could fix the table legs to the wall.

I pulled the legs back across the carpet a fraction, to apply tension and force it against the wall. The hutch and other scope apply enough downward force to keep it there. When I bought it I was only thinking of a water resistant white surface.

I'm hoping my rabbit hole is not too deep and I can make do with this simple setup. I'm an amateur radio operator as well and this, my station, hasn't grown beyond these limits in 9 years, so there is hope.

Hobbyst46

#47 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:36 pm

The hutch and other scope apply enough downward force to keep it there.
Bear with me for my concern, but the downward force is no sufficient protection against sideways "rocking" motion. I would add at least a horizontal beam alongside the wall, between the two rear legs that are near the wall. Along the length of the table. Just in case. It would be nearly invisible but add a lot to safety.

coominya

#48 Post by coominya » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:12 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote: Bear with me for my concern, but the downward force is no sufficient protection against sideways "rocking" motion. I would add at least a horizontal beam alongside the wall, between the two rear legs that are near the wall. Along the length of the table.
Ok, I could easily do that, it's pretty easy to work with metal like this. I could cut a long box section of similar material and bolt it on. But I'm no engineer... At what height, halfway up?

Or alternately I could get rid of it and get a setup like Karl has, that's far more practical. Well done Karl.

Hobbyst46

#49 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:23 pm

But I'm no engineer... At what height, halfway up?
Neither am I, just practical experience. A convenient height for cleaning under it, yet nearer to the floor. Say, 20-30cm above the floor. That will provide stability and under-table ergonomics, I believe.

MichaelG.

#50 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:11 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
But I'm no engineer... At what height, halfway up?
Neither am I, just practical experience. A convenient height for cleaning under it, yet nearer to the floor. Say, 20-30cm above the floor. That will provide stability and under-table ergonomics, I believe.
Please permit me, as a retired vibration-test engineer, to mention the magic word 'triangulation'
There are two easy and very effective ways to stiffen that table:
1. add an X of stays to the back, or
2. screw [or maybe glue] a panel to the back

Either of these will prevent the rectangle from 'lozenging'
The stays act in tension [like bicycle spokes], so can be surprisingly slender
... likewise, the panel is a diaphragm, and effectively makes an infinite number of triangles !

A quick look around IKEA will provide all the evidence you need.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/stor ... -60309572/

MichaelG.
Here is a very good introductory text:
http://www.galileo.org/tips/structures/frames.html
Too many 'projects'

Hobbyst46

#51 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:27 pm

MichaelG
Thanks for the link and professional solution. There is a book named "structures - and why dont they fall down" (or something similar) which I started to read once... :)

75RR

#52 Post by 75RR » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:30 am

I would bolt 3 of those legs into the brick wall ...
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MichaelG.

#53 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:57 am

75RR wrote:I would bolt 3 of those legs into the brick wall ...
Me too ... but I was describing how to stiffen a structure.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Hobbyst46

#54 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:32 am

Anyway, if you solve it with a horizontal beam between two legs along the length of the table please secure each end of the beam with two bolts, not one, for maximum stability against horizontal forces. I would not drill into brick walls if I could avoid it.

coominya

#55 Post by coominya » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:42 am

75RR wrote:I would bolt 3 of those legs into the brick wall ...
That would never work as I like to redecorate every year or 2. Next year that desk will probably be over by the southern windows and a bookshelf will be in its place. The bolting is a solid idea, though I will go with the cross bracing.

coominya

#56 Post by coominya » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:53 am

sorry for getting off topic