What kinds of bench furniture and storage do you have for your hobby?

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
billben74

What kinds of bench furniture and storage do you have for your hobby?

#1 Post by billben74 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:40 pm

Ok, so heres the thing. My wife is reasonably tolerant of my new obsession.
But I am taking up more and more space ;)
What with a 40kg microtome, 2/3 microscopes, DIY epi lighting rig, slides, solutions, stains....etc.

So what do all of you that have better halfs (and even those that don't) do to try to be efficient/discrete (e.g. be able to make things hidden without it being a pain to set up) in housing your tools/lab/lab equipment.
I'm talking tables/benches/draws/cabinets etc..

I bet some of you have cunning storage solutions.
At the moment I don't.

Ideas really welcome, and my wife is seconding this ;)

charlie g

Re: What kinds of bench furniture and storage do you have for your hobby?

#2 Post by charlie g » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:24 pm

Realistically, you need a bench with an extremely comfortable chair. Just as some folk have 'a conversation piece' on the fire place mantle in a living room...there is no shame in a proper oak library shelf unit ( particle board till the comitment to the collection of 'working texts' in a study)...there is no shame in atractive elegant optical microscopes and microtome.

Tissue processing/ wax work, etc...I can see as expansive clutter to folk not into it...so 'your lab'...might be located in a back area..yet you need water faucets, perhaps a vent fan...humm..by the laundry room? So the lab area is a seperate issue in your domicile.

If you have to spend time dragging things out from hidden and out of sight cupboards..you will fast do less bench microscopy.

I'd love to give you my 'microscopy bench setup and study formula which works...but you need 'crack the nut' of: bench microscopy is a wonderful and world view opening activity which need not be tucked away...due sentiments of what an attractive home should look like...heh, heh...I am talking from a reasonably safe distance, finger lakes/US. charlie guevara

Peter

#3 Post by Peter » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:24 pm

Hi Bill,
I would recommend you build an extension to house or, as I did, build a separate out building for your laboratory. You will of course need to run power and plumbing to your new lab and build plenty of cupboards and benches, however with a bit of planning and some work it will be very worthwhile.
Hope this helps.
Peter.

einman

#4 Post by einman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:24 pm

I took over the basement. There are numerous pics of my lab here are the forum.

billben74

#5 Post by billben74 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:10 pm

Thank you all.
Peter I love your approach but sadly land is very expensive in Cambridge, Uk and my house is already extended with a kitchen.
Einman, I would love to move into a basement but sadly don't have the resources to build one ;)
charlie g is perhaps barking more up the kind of tree that I'm up.
Ok so I'm thinking perhaps more on very sturdy cabinent/maybe with roll top type thing.

Anyone with furniture style solutions. I'm interested in storage as well (e.g. draws that are good for storing slides/glass bottles).
Maybe diy versions of these?
But please, I'm happy with all and any contributions. Its really nice to hear about how people organise their hobby.
Picture are always interesting...
Many thanks to all so far any further contributions to ideas about my continuing marital harmony ;)

charlie g

#6 Post by charlie g » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:38 am

Hi, I'll get images to your thread...for now...my tried and true bench:

Two 2 drawer metal file cabinets...spaned by a pine wood door. Mine have worked downstate, and here in finger lakes/US! Up here (still getting control of things after years here.) I have my setup on a rug. You can buy the cabinets used/dirt cheap..at a large box store...a pine wood door is also cheap. I use a tube metal folding chair with cushions added to the seats cushion...right height, very low cost.

I claimed the small room (it has a northfaceing window) off the TV room/off the kitchen. On one wall a self constructed heavy metal shelf unit (? five levels..large shelves)...this is strong...microscopes, centrifuges, etc. are heavy.

On the wall with the north faceing window...a second pine door on two drawer metal file cabinets.

Pictures on the walls, the oak book shelves (three of them...two on one wall (these are 6+ feet high), the other oak book shelf adjacent the microscope bench I observe at.

BTW...einman has a wonderful basement microscope area...and I strain my eyes (no luck) to see what organisms live in the enclosed tanks which are in background in a lot of einmans work project forum images.

charlie guevara

billben74

#7 Post by billben74 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:05 am

Thanks a lot for the info.
I look forward to seeing your set up.

charlie g

#8 Post by charlie g » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:57 am

As you enter the cluttered study and bench room, northern faceing window and pine door bench which holds specimens and back-burner projects (eg: 'poor mans DIC microscope' I have an Olympus NEOPAK stand with, etc., etc..).

My son (I love crows..for years we feed a group at our far entry path) painted the microscopy ,the crow, the world painting about a year ago for either my b-day, or for Christmas. Totally uninfluenced by me...his painting depicts phase contrast!!...and as the corvid is by earth...there's my sentiment often I mumble: "microscopy world views."!
The frames may be cheap..but authentic local wood..and that state map is vintage and quality! There are two framed images I took of my son crossing the St.Lawrence River ..that's Canada on the far shore. Now you need report to Canada's customs for a 'number' they give you over the telephone when you 'register to enter Canadian waters'...you better have that number if interdicted on the Canadian side of the river...sighh.

One day, when I figure out how to do it..I'm going to make tiles with sketch images of some of my favorite protists and meiofauna and have a wall section where I observe with a few rows of these tiles ( see YOU Tube, "the Diatom Project"..they are not clear on just how they get the images to the screen in that video..hmm.).

The two drawer file cabinets are deep and hold huge amounts of 'kit'.

charlie guevara No dogs allowed in microscope room!
Attachments
410.JPG
410.JPG (64.96 KiB) Viewed 17739 times
411.JPG
411.JPG (63.19 KiB) Viewed 17739 times
412.JPG
412.JPG (49.87 KiB) Viewed 17739 times
Last edited by charlie g on Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

charlie g

#9 Post by charlie g » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:19 am

So my pine door benches and a simple cushioned folding metal tube chair..are the comfort for hours of observations.

It might show in the bench image...I have a simple cassette tape player to right of the stand in use...I play books on tape when observing for hours. I buy (25 cents/cassette at our area libraries as clearance items..I give a $20 and let them keep the change...I love public libraries.) At an area biannual huge fund raiser /book sale..I get huge collections of: "The Great Courses"..entire college lecture series..incredibly cheap (?$5 a six hour course of lectures?)...this really helps my microscopy observing. So with the current series of lectures.."The early middle ages"..I can now tell you that the Romans left Britain in 409, never to return.
To the left of the oak book shelves (the shelves on left side of bench...there is a huge and strong (one of those screw+nut self construct kits)...a huge and strong metal storage shelf unit which rises over 6 feet high. Once you have collected stands, centrifuges, etc. equipment..you must have study shelf unit. Lastly there is a large closet which hold telescope in case, ocular collection, etc., etc. .

It is so comfortable a chair , that I do a lot of reading at my bench...but when observing..only the lights are on where that window and bench are located.

Please understand I am not neat...but everything is quite functional. I have a lot of chores to do beyond work life..so bench microscopy is usually at night.

By now a spouse not supportive of microscopy and microscopy world views might suggest another activity in the home! Just keep you specimens out of the food areas! charlie guevara finger lakes/US
Attachments
407.JPG
407.JPG (67.11 KiB) Viewed 17737 times
405.JPG
405.JPG (57.57 KiB) Viewed 17737 times

billben74

#10 Post by billben74 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:11 pm

Thank you.
Thats a fair amount of time you've invested in letting me see you work area.
I really, really appreciate it.:)
I like your style. I to am a bit on the messy side and I like your filing cabinent/solid oak door arrangement.
My wife wouldn't ;)
But perhaps the concept: two pillars which are storage devices and solid bench on top might be something I can use.
And the sturdy shelf unit is also a good idea that I could possibly apply in wood as this would match the room I will be usings wooden built -onto-the-wall bookcases. You can hang from them.

My observing tends to be short at the moment as I don't do much microbe hunting (some but not too much) and my sectioning days are just around the corner but still remain elusive for a while (I'm guessing when I really get going on this I'll be looking through lots of slides...)
Maybe then I might give thought to going for retro audio books.
Its been a long time since I played a cassette tape but you remind me of the joy I had when I discovered the local library had music tapes and set about saving my paper round money to buying a tape to tape machine for the old fashioned version of illegal downloading.
Still, I did often buy music with the paper round money.

I love the crow and I'm also a fan of the most intelligent present living dinosaurs; probably smarter than its larger less airbourn cousins but who can tell?
Those new caledonian crows are smart animals.

Your son is quite the artist. Mine is too but being 3.5 still has a learning curve on artistic impression.

I'm impressed with your British history and the big book on diatoms. At the present I am starting to be able to use my field guide to spiders which I bought some time ago but could really use until now, as I can see the beauties with the 'scope and my diy "epi" lighting rig.
One day I'll move on to diatoms. I have seen one live one.

Anyway, like I said many, many thanks.

And thanks for letting me and forum members into your really lovely interesting work area/world.

billben

rnabholz

#11 Post by rnabholz » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:13 am

I needed a bit of time to clean up and shoot some pictures, but i had some time today. I took over a corner of the basement. I always say that it was the area that was left after everybody else claimed theirs, behind the furnace over the floor drain.

But it is MINE all MINE and the place where I spend a good deal of my free time. Lots of hobbies housed in that little corner, but below you can see my little "lab".
Attachments
Benchandstool.jpg
Benchandstool.jpg (181.27 KiB) Viewed 17696 times
Benchwidetop.jpg
Benchwidetop.jpg (148.7 KiB) Viewed 17696 times
benchbottomleft.jpg
benchbottomleft.jpg (150.55 KiB) Viewed 17696 times
Benchmiddleleft.jpg
Benchmiddleleft.jpg (187.9 KiB) Viewed 17696 times
Benchtopleft.jpg
Benchtopleft.jpg (155.14 KiB) Viewed 17696 times

rnabholz

#12 Post by rnabholz » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:16 am

A few more that show my "overflow" shelf for stands that are not being used at the moment and a couple of projects. My sample table is pictured as well.
Attachments
Benchbottomright.jpg
Benchbottomright.jpg (121.01 KiB) Viewed 17695 times
Benchmiddleright.jpg
Benchmiddleright.jpg (152.82 KiB) Viewed 17695 times
Benchoverflow.jpg
Benchoverflow.jpg (185.91 KiB) Viewed 17695 times
benchsamples.jpg
benchsamples.jpg (178.95 KiB) Viewed 17695 times

einman

#13 Post by einman » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:42 am

Ok Here are some photos of my lab and ignore my wife..LOL yes she uses it sometimes too. It has been updated since these photos with a few microtomes, vens etc. But you get the idea.
Last edited by einman on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

charlie g

#14 Post by charlie g » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:26 am

Rod and einmam...sweet microscopy areas you each have configuered ! Eiman..is that your spouse useing the stand...if so, congrats! For the past ten(10) years...I have had my spouse look at a daytime planet transit of our dear Sol, and a glib view of a glorious comet (yes it was a cold night!). The last microscope peek I achieved from my spouse was of a water bear on holiday on shore of St.Lawrence river...sighh.

I still struggle to view just what organisms einman enjoys in those tanks in background of his microscopy areas...hummm.

A hearty :'hear hear' for the OP starter of this thread! BTW...I sense home decour should not detour microscopy world views. charlie guevara...thankful of Rod and einmans sensible microscopy domicile setups. charlie guevara, finger lakes/US

einman

#15 Post by einman » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:43 pm

yes Charlie G. That is my wife. I believe the two of you have something in common-your native language. My wife does take an interest now and then in my hobbies. Though she chastises me for not doing the same in hers. I just find no interest in "sewing". Though she is an excellent interior decorator.

The aquariums, depending on when the photos were taken, house various arachnids and reptiles. Currently, though different from these photos, they house a few snakes, tarantulas and small peepers. In the past they housed various colonies of ants.

billben74

#16 Post by billben74 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:05 pm

Many thanks einman.
Cool lab.

Lots of good storage ideas. Shelves, draws. Its all good stuff for me to swirl around in my brain.

Though you best trick is get your spouse involved I will have to try harder on that front.

As I mentioned before I'm sure everyone finds these views into forum members worlds really fascinating.

:)

KathyVann2

#17 Post by KathyVann2 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:44 am

billben74 wrote:Ok, so heres the thing. My wife is reasonably tolerant of my new obsession.
But I am taking up more and more space ;)
What with a 40kg microtome, 2/3 microscopes, DIY epi lighting rig, slides, solutions, stains....etc.

So what do all of you that have better halfs (and even those that don't) do to try to be efficient/discrete (e.g. be able to make things hidden without it being a pain to set up) in housing your tools/lab/lab equipment.
I'm talking tables/benches/draws/cabinets etc..

I bet some of you have cunning storage solutions.
At the moment I don't.

Ideas really welcome, and my wife is seconding this ;)

I found some foldable chair storage online and I think that it may help you out to hide things easily. Here is the model of the foldable chair ( http://www.surplusfurniture.com/en/edmo ... e-ottoman/ ). Hope you'll like it and find it useful.

billben74

#18 Post by billben74 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks KathyVann2.

IanW

#19 Post by IanW » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:54 am

Interesting thread.

Billben, I used to live in Cambridge during the eighties and know what you mean about lack of space and high prices:-)

I live in Lancashire now in a small house and have just a box room (shared) for my microscopes - 3 in all on a small table with just bookshelves for storage. Einman seems to have things sorted - a bit like a set out of Thunderbirds circa 1965!
Zeiss Jena NF, Zeiss Standard 18 and WL

billben74

#20 Post by billben74 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Thanks for your interest IanW.

Sadly the microscope is still on the kitchen table although I have got a US Protools metal cabinet, about 80cm high with 6 draws which holds slides/cleaning fluid and whotnot along with another us tools cabinet with a cupboard-like space (lockable), in the shed with the more dangerous reagents that I sometimes use in tissue prep/sectioning etc.
Those are pretty good for storage, fairly cheap (if you look around) and not unattractive - I removed the us protools logo from the one in my living/dinning area and my wife doesn't have a problem with it.

peytr

#21 Post by peytr » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:18 pm

I really enjoyed peeking into your labs. I just recently started microsopy and currently I use the work desk for observation and store the bits and pieces in a case.

However, just a few hours ago I bought a secretary desk at our local second hand store. The idea is that everything will be in the desk, drawers etc and one or two microscope can stand behind the closed lid when not in use. Optimistic because most hobby's I had or had get out of hand, sooner or later.

Having said that: I'm lucky and live in a man cave, all by myself. The GF lives 20 km away and doesn't interfere too much. I'll make a picture when the desk gets here and before it gets out of hand ;)

Regards,

Peter

peytr

#22 Post by peytr » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:08 pm

And here it is in all its glory. Fits my mics quite nicely. The leaf is stable enough to work on and I can put an extra leg beneath the leaf when I need it to be rock stable.

I'm very happy with this arrangement. Everything at hand in the living room and tidy at the same time (with the lid closed, that is :) ).

Peter
Attachments
secr small.jpg
secr small.jpg (175.17 KiB) Viewed 16377 times

billbillt

#23 Post by billbillt » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:05 pm

Nice setup.. I would love to do something similar, but I have WAY TOO MUCH stuff...

BillT

Pat Thielen

#24 Post by Pat Thielen » Thu May 04, 2017 12:55 pm

My setup is quite simple as I don't have too much stuff at the moment. I've found that I don't collect microscopes, so I'll not be having the problem of storage. I use an old oak library desk that I found next to a dumpster many years ago at the apartment I used to live in (this is in the late 80s). I dragged it into the building, down the stairs and into my apartment. Best dumpster dive ever! And now it serves as my main microscopy bench. My stereoscope sits next to my computer upstairs; eventually I'd like to have a dedicated room for everything but that won't happen until I clear out a bunch of stuff I have in my "storage" room. Too much stuff...

The space is a bit cramped, but it does work. Eventually my laboratory of doom will expand and that will be quite cool.

Apparently I was looking at African Sleeping Sickness that day.
Attachments
Evil laboratory of doom
Evil laboratory of doom
IMG_2113.jpg (312.4 KiB) Viewed 16091 times
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

charlie g

#25 Post by charlie g » Fri May 05, 2017 6:42 pm

Beautiful wood bench, beautiful microscope,Pat. Even before you get further bench surfaces..at the large 'home supply box stores',( Lowes, HomeDepot,etc.) purchase a few low cost floor ceramic tiles...for a cleanable and fluid resistant surface for fluid samples you might at times enjoy microscopy with. A chilled glass of spirits might also best sit on the tiles, rather than that vintage wood surface!

Do you know if that window is southern exposure, northern exposure...or what direction? As long as your chair is comfortable..you have a terrific bench setup, Pat. charlie guevara

Pat Thielen

#26 Post by Pat Thielen » Sat May 06, 2017 2:57 am

charlie g wrote:Beautiful wood bench, beautiful microscope,Pat. Even before you get further bench surfaces..at the large 'home supply box stores',( Lowes, HomeDepot,etc.) purchase a few low cost floor ceramic tiles...for a cleanable and fluid resistant surface for fluid samples you might at times enjoy microscopy with. A chilled glass of spirits might also best sit on the tiles, rather than that vintage wood surface!

Do you know if that window is southern exposure, northern exposure...or what direction? As long as your chair is comfortable..you have a terrific bench setup, Pat. charlie guevara

Thanks Charlie -- I really like vintage furniture and because the desk is solid oak it is very stable (although quite used). Another good thing about locating my "lab" in the basement is the floor is quite solid as well. When I had it upstairs I could see movement on the slide whenever I moved -- Not so good for photos. I do like the idea of tiles, although the room I will eventually use has a "hardwood" veneer floor; I would expect it to be pretty good against any spills that may happen. And I already use coasters on wood furniture; my Mom pounded that into me at a very early age.

The window faces west and is also shaded by the deck. So, it is very indirect light (there is also a blind on it that I can open or close as I need).
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#27 Post by Pat Thielen » Sat May 06, 2017 3:00 am

peytr wrote:And here it is in all its glory. Fits my mics quite nicely. The leaf is stable enough to work on and I can put an extra leg beneath the leaf when I need it to be rock stable.

I'm very happy with this arrangement. Everything at hand in the living room and tidy at the same time (with the lid closed, that is :) ).

Peter

That's a great setup! But I do want to see the after photo when things get completely out of hand. We all know they will! :lol:

I also like the flask sitting on top -- Every lab needs a flask!
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Lilly Begonia

#28 Post by Lilly Begonia » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:54 am

Oh this is an alarming thread for me. Not long ago I put an 8 ft. table into my front from for one of my computers and it's large disk array. Other things began populating it, and now it's the microscope, and all that goes with it. Now I will have to put up another 8 ft. table for that, and find a way to connect the microscope to the Mac on the first table, and I don't see how to do that outside of buying a 3rd Mac. Ewwwww!

einman

#29 Post by einman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:22 am

Buy a docking station and you can move the MAC back and forth more easily.

Crusty

#30 Post by Crusty » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:38 am

We are in the process of renovating a cellar and I've carved out an 8' x 12' space for microscopy work. This won't be reality for another few months so I haven't done much real planning other than a very sturdy, washable work surface with lots and lots of electrical outlets. I'd be interested in any specific suggestions. Thanks