A new part for the Orthoplan...

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
mrsonchus

A new part for the Orthoplan...

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi all, just received my latest purchase of a part for my recently acquired Leitz Orthoplan - just a filter-holder that fits onto the bottom of the 600-series condenser of the big-O, but I thought some may find it interesting nevertheless.

As I'm constantly finding with Leitz parts for this 'scope, it's beautifully made, sturdy, accurate and well-finished - just feels like quality in the hand.

Here it is - didn't cost me too much but now gives me the ability to place filters, masks etc right below the condenser's aperture diaphragm. The 'lollipop filters' of the Leitz are of course a perfect fit for the holder,

The holder,

Simply clamps onto the condenser's base,

Lovely job!

I'm going to run some tests with the idea that a green filter may, when used with predominantly red sections, give an increased contrast and maybe even detail as a result - I'll put that little adventure into another post - sorry this is a brief post, but I'm really pleased to have this part as it's going to prove very useful, in fact it already is! :D
Back soon with a few 'green filter test pictures' in a seperate post.

John B :)
John B

billbillt

Re: A new part for the Orthoplan...

#2 Post by billbillt » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi John B.,

I am looking forward to your results of these experiments..

BillT

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:25 pm

That is a very sensible/practical purchase!
Looks like there is a bit of wriggle room as well if you decide to go with some home made filters.

See rnabholz's rather rustic yet very effective oblique masks:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4653
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:37 pm

75RR wrote:That is a very sensible/practical purchase!
Looks like there is a bit of wriggle room as well if you decide to go with some home made filters.

See rnabholz's rather rustic yet very effective oblique masks:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4653
Hi 75' - yes, it's already proving to be very handy for additional ND filters - I'm currently running my illumination with the newly replaced 100W halogen back in the lamphouse! It just seems to give more crisp images with less glare than the LED (after correctly setting the field diaphragm size of course) - or at least it seems that way to me.

I'm most definitely going to give oblique a try as I'm just beginning to venture into the area of mosses - many taxonomic characters of which are seen in the leaves, which are best imaged as whole-mounts, albeit with a little OH removal of chlorophyll - maybe.

Rod's oblique Leitz-style 'lollipops' are great - got to have a go at making a few of those soon - should be good fun too! :D :D

John B :)
John B