A stroke of amazing luck - another new part for the Orthoplan!

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
mrsonchus

A stroke of amazing luck - another new part for the Orthoplan!

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi all, just been browsing you-know-where for Orthoplan parts, and saw something I really wanted, appear for sale before my eyes! It was at a very reasonable price too (£50 delivered!).

I only the other day mentioned in another post how I plan to acquire a second nosepiece for the big-O in order to have an 'immersion set' and a 'dry set' mounted upon their own nosepieces, bearing in mind that to change the nosepiece on an Orthoplan takes about 20 seconds, by virtue of the Orthoplan's modularity-by-design!
This is the 'slide-in-slide-out rail on the 'scope's chassis,

Anyway, expecting to wait for goodness-knows how long for one to appear, let alone be anywhere close to a price that I can afford, I was as usual having a guilty little drool over the Leitz and Orthoplan parts on a certain website this evening - in fact about 30 minutes ago!

Yes, up came a new-listing for an Orthoplan nosepiece - and yes, it's definitely the 1x with the semi-circular cut-out and central stopper-pin on the proximal end of it's mount - definitely then the one that I want, identical to the one I have on the big-O right now! I can't believe my luck sometimes - but it's now on it's way to me, and it's in the UK!

Here are a couple of pictures - if I had a tail I'd be wagging it right now!

My current 'dry objective' nosepiece that is housing my working-set of x4, x10, x25, x40 and x63 objectives....
On the left are the three immersion objectives I already have, waiting to go onto their own nosepiece, a x50 water-immersion (my favourite objective at this time), x54 Oel and x100 Oel,

The important points to make sure it's the right one are the cut-out & pin,

and the 1x magnification (intended to be used with Plan objectives - of course all my objectives aren't Plan, but you never know....) :D

Here's the new one!
and,

Soo, another piece of good luck!

Oh yes, having spoken to the chap that sold me the 600 series condenser that was missing it's 'K4' lens and had the 'protruding-screw problem' that prevented it fitting when I did acquire a K4, he's kindly giving me gratis Leitz n.a 1.4 condenser for the Orthoplan that he's had in his used equipment stock for a while! I'll look forward to trying that one too!

I must stop buying parts for a while though - I need to save a little money!

I'll keep you posted when they arrive! Perhaps I can put the 1.4 n.a. condenser through it's paces.....

Great fun, and the big-O is shaping up nicely! Soon have the infinity-Plan SP200 'scope up for sale in the right section here also - if you want a nice 'scope that is 'ready to use' - watch out for it!

I'll be back! :D :)

John B.
Last edited by mrsonchus on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John B

75RR

Re: A stroke of amazing luck - another new part for the Orthoplan!

#2 Post by 75RR » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:46 pm

Nice! Actually looks shinier than the one you have.
Shopping on ebay is all about knowing exactly what you want, patience and timing, it also does not hurt to tell your wife it is an investment. ;)
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Crater Eddie

#3 Post by Crater Eddie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:29 pm

What a great find! Congratulations!
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:16 pm

It actually makes better sense to have dry and water objectives together, as water immersion is really easy to clean (suck) up.

Oil is much more difficult to clean up. I would use oil objectives on a 2nd nose. Leitz made a NA 0.75 20x (or 25x) oil objective, if I remember correctly. A NA <= 0.25 (4x or 10x) dry objective can see through oil without changing much focus point, even one wants to scan at lower than 20x.

Yann E.

#5 Post by Yann E. » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi John,

For some reason the pics of the new nosepiece don't show on my side of the Channel.

Considering that I am currently in the process of completing an Orthoplan for selling and bringing mine up to my working requirements, I find your constant bragging about cheap and excellent Orthoplan parts extremely upsetting and would be grateful if you would kindly stop making me lose a fortune replacing drool-soaked keyboards ! Thank you ! :twisted: :mrgreen:

Crater Eddie

#6 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:06 pm

Yann E. wrote:For some reason the pics of the new nosepiece don't show on my side of the Channel.
I can't see them either.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:03 pm

Oops - sorry chaps - try it now - should be OK. :oops:
John B

mrsonchus

#8 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Yann E. wrote:Hi John,

......... drool-soaked keyboards ! Thank you ! :twisted: :mrgreen:
Haha! Yann, you're a maniac! :D :D

I haven't told you about the ..P...r... yet though have I...... saving it as a grand-unveiling..... ;) You'll need to sit-down and have cushions around when I unveil it! Hmmmm...... amazing really to come-across it for such a ridiculous almost immoral price.....

Sigh.... 8-)

p.s.
Just kidding - there's no new amazing item - or is there :?: :geek: ;)
John B