Is this an Olympus Dry Darkfield Condenser?

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Quarterbore

Is this an Olympus Dry Darkfield Condenser?

#1 Post by Quarterbore » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:21 am

I originally posted in the wrong forum so reposting here. I just bought an Olympus CHBS "parts" microscope off eBay mainly because it had one of the Monocular Phototubes and I am using my microscopes for Cub Scouts and I have the camera parts.

Regardless, when I got my parts I discovered the 1.25 Condenser has a snap on darkfied adapter that I've never seen before. It is a metal ring that slides over the top of the condencer and on the top is a darkfield stop for lack of another term. The metal around the condenser exactly fills the stage on the Olympus CH microscope I got this with. I assume this is a Dry Darkfield Condenser.

I attached a couple images. Is this an Olympus Part? My good CHT microscope is setup as a phase contrast and I have a CHBS setup as a brightfield scope but if this will give me better darkfield then I have with the filter I already have I am very happy to have got this little surprise.

I was taking back by the lack of a diaphragm as well but I assume that that is how these darkfield units work?
Attachments
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (60.75 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (20.33 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (56.19 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (52.21 KiB) Viewed 4277 times

Quarterbore

Re: Is this an Olympus Dry Darkfield Condenser?

#2 Post by Quarterbore » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:37 pm

Well, no replies but I got some time today and I removed the phase contrast Condenser from my Olympus CHT and I can confirm it is most certanly a Darkfield Condenser and it works great. I have one of those rotating condensers with brightfield, 10 Phase, 40 Phase, and Darkfield and this seperate Darkfield Condenser certainly works better than that.

zzffnn

Re: Is this an Olympus Dry Darkfield Condenser?

#3 Post by zzffnn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:53 am

I don't know for sure and have never seen such a snap-on darkfield attachment, over an oil Abbé 1.25 condenser.

The appearance of that darkfield attachment actually looks more like oil darkfield condenser. That little reservoir on the top looks like it is for keeping immersion oil in place.

Dry darkfield condenser usually has wider top lens.

Maybe try oil with it and see if there is significant improvement?

If it is a simple patch stop, then its quality may not be much better than your phase condenser darkfield (since that is also just a patch stop). If it is an internal reflecting lens with patch stop, then you would get better image quality, due to better optical correction.