Mounting a camera on the Leica DM LS?

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
l2oBiN

Mounting a camera on the Leica DM LS?

#1 Post by l2oBiN » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:35 pm

I am looking to mount a camera on the Leica DM LS. It currently does not have s trinoc tube and they seem to be hard to find or expensive on eBay. Does anyone have any suggestions on alternative/3rd party ways of getting a live image and recoding capability?

zzffnn

Re: Mounting a camera on the Leica DM LS?

#2 Post by zzffnn » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:33 pm

Welcome to the forum!

For holding camera/lens over microscope eyepiece (afocal imaging, basically, camera sensor -> 50-60mm full frame equivalent lens -> 10x microscope eyepiece -> microscope body/eye tube -> objective),

I used to use this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Orion-SteadyPix- ... B00I9RHNNI

But now I use several lens step-down rings, with the last adaptor ring almost matching diameter of microscope eyepiece and glued to eyepiece. You need one extra eyepiece for convenience. Such a DIY is lighter, cheaper and more convenient (no adjustment needed) than the Orion adapter.

Please see this thread for details: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 85&start=0

Some recent cameras can output realtime image/video via mini HDMI to external screen.

l2oBiN

#3 Post by l2oBiN » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:20 pm

Thank you. I will check them out. Is there a way to mount a go pro on a scope? Or an iPhone? It would be great to get to 4K video...

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:28 am

l2oBiN wrote:I am looking to mount a camera on the Leica DM LS. It currently does not have s trinoc tube and they seem to be hard to find or expensive on eBay. Does anyone have any suggestions on alternative/3rd party ways of getting a live image and recoding capability?
One way to sort-of get a trinocular capability is to buy a Reichert (410 etc.) teaching head for around $100 on Ebay vs. the $700 or so vendors seem to want for a proper trinocular.

When AO/Reichert got rolled up into Leica they kept a very similar infinity system. If you have a lathe, it's pretty easy to turn down the AO/Reichert dovetail (it detaches on the teaching heads and will need to go into a 4 jaw chuck) to fit the smaller Leica DMLS dovetail. At that point you can adapt your binocular head to the teaching head and add whatever you want (AO, Reichert, Leica) on the other end. All you get is a 50-50 split, but that might do for you?

Reichert also made a teaching head with a C-mount at the other end. Most any C-mount adaptation can then be made to work.

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:57 am

Here's a picture.

Foreground shows DMLS with Reichert to C-mount teaching head

Background shows DMLS on standard teaching head.
LeicaDLMLS_Reichert.jpg
LeicaDLMLS_Reichert.jpg (135.42 KiB) Viewed 4767 times

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:03 pm

In the case that you consider a consumer camera, it is important to verify and re-verify that the camera can be used in live view and remote shooting. For example, some or all of the Canon EOS-M mirrorless cameras, that are handy and have a large sensor and 16-24Mp, can be remote fired from a mobile phone but not directly from a computer (!!) as I have recently found out.