Base sledge microtome - question about knife holders

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
MicroBob

Base sledge microtome - question about knife holders

#1 Post by MicroBob » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:01 pm

A member of our MIKRO Hamburg group recently aquired two Leitz base sledge microtomes for little money and was so nice to store one and to sell it on to me. I now have cleanded most of the parts (apart those in the images... :oops: ) and everything is fine. What is missing is one of the knife holders. I knew this before buying it. Now I think wheter I just copy the existing one or make two new knife holders. With this knife holder you fix and adjust the angle of the knife with the same two scews. This looks somewhat unsafe to me. I have seen that other base sledge microtomes have knife holders, where you fix the knife in two cylindrical mounts and turn these in holders to suit afterwards.

I have good machining capabilities available and look for a good knife holder design with not too much more work than necessary.

What are your practical experiences with knife holders - what would you suggest to do?

Bob