Leitz wetzlar orthoplan 402a condenser does not rotate

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Orionpepai

Leitz wetzlar orthoplan 402a condenser does not rotate

#1 Post by Orionpepai » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:27 pm

Hey everybody,

I am Jennifer from Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I am new here and started with microphotography about two years ago, but I have been a micro-, and marine biologist for a long long time.

Just bought myself a second hand Leitz Orthoplan microscope with a Leitz Wetzlar 402a phase contrast condenser. Upon testing and cleaning the microscope i found out that I cannot get the turret to rotate. I have disassembled it, but it won't give.

Does someone have any idea on how to fix this? I have not been able to find the solution on the internet yet :(.

Many thanks,
Jennifer
Attachments
condenser_-3.jpg
condenser_-3.jpg (426.83 KiB) Viewed 10458 times
condenser_-2.jpg
condenser_-2.jpg (491.08 KiB) Viewed 10458 times
condenser_.jpg
condenser_.jpg (482.54 KiB) Viewed 10458 times

MichaelG.

Re: Leitz wetzlar orthoplan 402a condenser does not rotate

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:57 pm

Greetings, Jennifer

The seizure is almost certainly caused by solidified grease:

A drop or two of 'dismantling fluid' should soften it ... My favourite is Plus Gas 'formula A'
[which is, I believe, mostly Kerosene]

MichaelG.

P.S. the simple can with a spout is more controllable than the aerosol
https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/lubrica ... LU7553501B
Too many 'projects'

Orionpepai

#3 Post by Orionpepai » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:49 am

Dear Michael,

Thank you so much for your reply.
I am buying that stuff immediately.

Have an amazing day!

Sincerely
Jennifer

Orionpepai

#4 Post by Orionpepai » Tue May 07, 2019 2:41 pm

It totally worked! Got the turret up and running again and everything is working again except for the centring screws of the condenser. I turn and turn them, but the light is not moving at all :(. Do any of you have any tips on how to fix this?

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Tue May 07, 2019 4:14 pm

Most condenser centering screws tend to push the condenser against a spring, it may be that old dry grease has jammed the spring, stopping its movement.

If this is the case the same 'dismantling fluid' you used previously will probably work. Make sure not to get any on a lens.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

PrecisionInstruments

#6 Post by PrecisionInstruments » Wed May 08, 2019 12:11 pm

The lubricant has most definitely turned green and dried out, a common occurrence for this particular Leitz/Leica lubricant after a period of time (10+ years).
If you would like to clean and replace with original factory lubricant which was called 410, it is actually a Kluber lubricant called NONTROP KR 291, a beautiful lubricant.
I have a headache, For which the future’s made

Orionpepai

#7 Post by Orionpepai » Wed May 08, 2019 2:34 pm

Thank you all so much for you feedback again. I am going to try to fix it!

Orionpepai

#8 Post by Orionpepai » Thu May 09, 2019 5:16 am

Eureka ones more :). Took some time to take it apart. Stuff was seriously jammed, but it works now. Thank you guys again.

I was wondering. Somehow how cannot find good tutorials and/or protocols on how to fix these parts of my microscope. I can only find manuals on how to use them, but not that many on how those fix them or take them apart. Am i missing something? Do you guys have any tips on where i can find such information?

Hobbyst46

#9 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:10 am

Orionpepai wrote:Eureka ones more :). Took some time to take it apart. Stuff was seriously jammed, but it works now. Thank you guys again.

I was wondering. Somehow how cannot find good tutorials and/or protocols on how to fix these parts of my microscope. I can only find manuals on how to use them, but not that many on how those fix them or take them apart. Am i missing something? Do you guys have any tips on where i can find such information?
1. Congratulations on your successful repair! Good news, and motivation for other microscopists.
The intriguing question about repair manuals... the only manuals I found are for Olympus microscopes, for which I deeply thank Alan Wood. Had I found such document for Zeiss, it might have spared me trying to fix a fine focus mechanism, and breaking it altogether in that attempt... :(

Orionpepai

#10 Post by Orionpepai » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:04 pm

Hahaha @Hobbyst46. Yeah same here. Noted. Not touching the fine focus mechanism. Did everything work out in the end though?

Hobbyst46

#11 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:26 pm

Orionpepai wrote:Hahaha @Hobbyst46. Yeah same here. Noted. Not touching the fine focus mechanism. Did everything work out in the end though?
Regretfully, No. It is broken. So I now have one fully functional GFL microscope and another, coarse-focus only, GFL microscope. Still waiting for the old black Zeiss focusing block to appear at affordable price...

Orionpepai

#12 Post by Orionpepai » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:30 am

@Hobbyst46. Ow nooo :(

mnmyco

#13 Post by mnmyco » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:01 pm

Old thread, but I wanted to add that the fine focus on my Ortholux is Bert easy to assemble and disassemble. I found the details I wanted by searching through old Leitz patents via google. I basically had to soak a Ortholux. In engine degreaser.

MNMyco