The most important microscope accessory

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
BramHuntingNematodes

The most important microscope accessory

#1 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:39 pm

imgur cross post

It is a big sturdy table that won't shake and shimmy!
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

tgss

Re: The most important microscope accessory

#2 Post by tgss » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:03 pm

Wow BramHuntingNematodes that is one shiny, shiny tabletop! I like it very much.
Tom W.

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:16 pm

is that a genuine B&L face mask?

BramHuntingNematodes

#4 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:23 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:16 pm
is that a genuine B&L face mask?
Ha, it's actually an Epson! We found a pair of Epson glasses that went with a 3-D TV in the trash, and this was the bag they were in. Who knows but I might find something useful to do with the glasses someday.

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:33 am

That is a nice solid looking table.

The second most important accessory would be a chair.

Height adjustment and wheels are a must.

I think your back would appreciate an upgrade ;)
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Rossf

#6 Post by Rossf » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:58 am

Nice clean set up-the complete antithesis of mine! I really like your scope-without the eyepiece cover it sort of looks like a rabbit with long ears-I’ve been thinking of getting a pitcher plant myself recently -any really wacky microbes in their water? Or dare I ask...nematodes?
Regards ross
P.S yes-tables that twerk are bad news for video work..

BramHuntingNematodes

#7 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:50 am

In the wild, many microbes are said to be intermittently found in the pitcher lumen, in particular algae. The liquid is highly anoxic and acidic, and I haven't found anything alive in any of my pitchers. The occasional drain fly carcass doesn't even last very long. Originally there was a Venus fly trap in the pot also, but the delicate trap can't compete at all with the pitcher plant. It's an easy plant to take care of, especially if you have a dehumidifier in a different part of the house to provide distilled water. The fluorescent fixture is of course outfitted with broad spectrum grow lights attached to a timer.

I previously had an infestation of fungus gnats in some coffee plants I am resting. I tried everything from neem oil to bti to pyrithrins but the pitcher plants were surprisingly the most effective. The adults couldn't resist!

Rossf

#8 Post by Rossf » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:18 am

BramHuntingNematodes
Pest control is a cool added bonus of a pitcher plant! I love the tropical hanging varieties-In Australia we have a lot of sundew varieties in the bush-the research on the unique elastic properties of sundew mucilage is pretty amazing-
Regards ross

RobBerdan

#9 Post by RobBerdan » Tue May 05, 2020 2:50 am

Ah .... but what is the second most important microscope accessory?

Could it be a microscope cover?
Could it be a anti-vibration padding - I use 1\4 inch rubber matts used in gyms that I buy at the hardware store and cut to size.
Could it be a very bright even light source for the microscope, I used to use a Kodak projector but found a Nite Core Flashlight with blue frosted filter is brighter, quiet and outputs 2800 lumens!
Could it be a Stereoscope to help find and prepare samples for the light microscope - I think one is essential, so I bought three, have to sell one now.

I can think of lots of other things to add: fresh water aquarium, hot plate, balances, microscope slide cabinet, centrifuge to concentrate pond critters. How about a laptop where
you connect a camera on the microscope via a USB port and Digicam control (free) software to view and capture the images. Don't forget Photoshop to process the images or if you prefer to draw
a camera lucida.

Oh and a microtome - you can start with a hand microtome and work your way up to bigger ones.

Don't stop now ;-) There is so much more one can add

It's never ending as I build a home microscopy lab. I started with my darkroom, now I have taken over almost the entire basement - left the laundry room as it was!
My microscopes then started to reproduce to the point I have to get rid of some them to make room for other accessories and pay for new equipment.
Darkfoom microscopy lab
Darkfoom microscopy lab
rberdan_lab01_DLP5734.jpg (147.35 KiB) Viewed 5817 times
Oooops I almost forget you need a small fridge to keep your beer and other drinks - now it's scientists cave ;-)

But it sure is fun getting your science cave up and working and might keep you out of trouble :D
RB

Hobbyst46

#10 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue May 05, 2020 9:27 am

RobBerdan wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:50 am
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (148.58 KiB) Viewed 5793 times
Please, some more details about the setup on the right side of the lab, within the yellow frames:
Is that a Zeiss standard microscope?
Which camera is on top ? which adapter ? which photo eyepiece if any ?
How do the images from the camera compare with the (very beautiful) photos in your posts ?

Roldorf

#11 Post by Roldorf » Tue May 05, 2020 10:52 am

Hi RoBerdan,

You forgot one thing with all that 'Kit', an upgraded house power supply. :D

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

microbob3

#12 Post by microbob3 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:54 pm

Nice room guys. I have a few man caves in my basement 'one for my guitars and amps' one for my slot cars 'and now I am working on my Microscope cave. It keeps me busy during these weird times. I would like to know more also Rob about all your microscopes their. I see you use DSLR camera 's mounted on your scopes. Thanks Bob