25M female to RMS male

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
microscopeboi

25M female to RMS male

#1 Post by microscopeboi » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:31 pm

hey, i need an adapter for my microscope objective. i have a nikon 25M obj that i would like to fit to a nosepiece with RMS threading. Because this whole quarantine thing i am unable to ship one to the US from other countries (everyone on ebay is either canadian, russian or chinese) does anyone know of a place that makes them i could buy from online? or does anyone know of 3d printing blueprints i could use to print one? thanks.

Hobbyst46

Re: 25M female to RMS male

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:46 pm

Three years ago there was an eBay seller from Spain, named micro_crystal, from whom I purchased spacer RMS adapters to use short barrel objectives together with DIN objectives. He was representing a workshop that produced them. Perhaps he makes/sells such adapter as you seek. He was friendly and communicative.

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:35 pm

There are a couple of listings on ebay UK

Search for “rms male” to m25 adapter

MichaelG.

Sorry ... I’ve just read your comment more carefully. :oops:
Too many 'projects'

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:50 pm

Huh. I am in the US and overseas packages are coming as usual, there doesn't even seem to be an unusual delay.

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:56 pm

Couple thoughts. There was an Ebay seller from China selling these -- and many of the Chinese now seem to be back to shipping to the US. I've had delays in shipping, mainly at US customs, but stuff seems to be making it through eventually.

Second, I'm assuming this is a Nikon infinity obective (finite won't work) and maybe one of the beautiful and cheap Nikon 20x Plan Apos. It will be 15mm longer than any DIN standard objective and a bit beyond that for the adapter - maybe another 5mm minimum. So, double check you can drop your stage enough to fit this 20mm+ longer objective.

If you plan to use this objective solely for an RMS fitting, and have access to any sort of lathe, you could cut off a male RMS bit from an old/bad objective with a barrel diameter large enough to turn a 25mm ID. Best if you can thread it internally; but a close fit and some sort of either temporary or permanent adhesive could also secure it.

Either way you will have an objective that wants about 65 to near 70mm clearance to the stage. It should be within the infinity range of most infinity scopes. It won't work with finite objectives or finite scopes.

Leica infinity scopes are also good hosts for most Nikon 25mm objectives. They have the same 25mm thread, the same nominal 200mm infinity tube length, usually enough room to fit the 60mm long Nikon objectives, and a tube lens that is close enough to neutral to still provide a good image with the Nikon 20x plan apos.

Scarodactyl

#6 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:23 am

https://www.ebay.com/itm/370336094721
This guy is in Washington.

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:56 pm

Good find, Scarodactyl.. I have never seen that listing, and the seller seems to have been around for a while. I had to get one once from Rafcamera , although for the turning and branding involved, he is pretty cheap. His are brass.