Swift 380T Filter?

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Fred

Swift 380T Filter?

#1 Post by Fred » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 pm

I have bought this microscope two days ago and discover above the light an empty ring: I believe it is to put some filter in it?

What kind of filter should i try? What for?

Also, does anyone know what is the size of the filter as Swift is selling 30 mm and 33 mm filters, I am not sure.

Thanks a lot for your answers,

Fred

garstro

Re: Swift 380T Filter?

#2 Post by garstro » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:53 pm

I purchased 32mm ( I measured with calipers the blue filter that came with scope ) darkfield & oblique set from off ebay. Also bought a polarizing filter to put under head & a 32mm polar for filter holder. However , you can't really turn the filter while in the holder to get the correct effect. Solved with a camera polarizing filter large enough to sit on top of light housing. Works perfect..

sleekdigital

#3 Post by sleekdigital » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:24 pm

@garstro I would be very grateful if you could measure and tell me the size if the inner disk of the dark field filters that works best with each objective. I have been trying to make my own, but having trouble so far.

garstro

#4 Post by garstro » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:02 pm

Had best luck with the 8 & 20mm patchstops. the 4 & 10x objectives work well but you need to adjust condenser very close to bottom of slide & pretty much fine tune it. Too high the lens will push the slide up. I think the higher x objectives didn't work very well. I actually like using oblique filters better and they work with higher powers. Can't really tell you more as it's trial & error.

Mraster2

#5 Post by Mraster2 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:44 pm

Hello
@Fred , superb images of the sycamore lace bug and others on your web site, were they all with the 380 ?

and @garstro, @sleekdigital

I am thinking of buying one of these microscopes ( or its twin, the 350 ) and wonder if one of you could please tell me a bit about the construction of the trinocular tube. Is it all one piece that is fixed to the body of the microscope, or is it made of several parts that can be disassembled ?

The reason I am asking : I would like to fix a dslr body (no lens) above the port so that it can receive the first
image directly on its sensor. ie. simple objective projection without intervening optics.
Might this be possible using part of the trino tube, or maybe it would need a new tube specially made.

I realise that this is not an optimum combination but it would get me started and allow comparison with the
supplied usb camera option.

sleekdigital

#6 Post by sleekdigital » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:19 pm

I tried to do that, but without any extra optics, there is way too much vignetting. I can't imagine any way to avoid that given the situation. So I opted to get an adapter... I'm using an NDPL-2(2x) attached to my Sony NEX-6. It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it for now at least.

P.S. The tube does allow for some adjusment so you can get your camera par-focal with your eyepiece.

Mraster2

#7 Post by Mraster2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:27 pm

sleekdigital wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:19 pm
I tried to do that,
By "do that" do you mean with the whole tube in place,
or does it break down into shorter parts ? (to allow the dslr sensor to get closer to where the usb sensor would sit.)

Thanks I am looking up the NDPL any moment now , , , :)

sleekdigital

#8 Post by sleekdigital » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:38 pm

Yes, I had the whole tube in place. But the vignetting was so severe I did not bother taking it any further than that. The NDPL-2 adapter works really well for with the 4x and 10x objectives. I probably will look into other solutions as I start to use the 40x more... I think with the 40x I am noticing quite a bit of chromatic aberration from the NDPL-2.

Mraster2

#9 Post by Mraster2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:26 pm

sleekdigital wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:38 pm
Yes, I had the whole tube in place. But the vignetting was so severe I did not bother taking it any further than that. The NDPL-2 adapter works really well for with the 4x and 10x objectives. I probably will look into other solutions as I start to use the 40x more... I think with the 40x I am noticing quite a bit of chromatic aberration from the NDPL-2.
Great info. All very interesting to know while I try to decide on what I do next.

Many thanks, much appreciated.

garstro

#10 Post by garstro » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:51 pm

I didn't want to pay a small fortune for a dslr camera & read about nightmares to attach to scope. Opted for 21mp industrial camera with hdmi using .5x adapter. Works great for newby like me.

sleekdigital

#11 Post by sleekdigital » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:05 pm

garstro wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:51 pm
I didn't want to pay a small fortune for a dslr camera & read about nightmares to attach to scope. Opted for 21mp industrial camera with hdmi using .5x adapter. Works great for newby like me.
Sounds great! Would love to see some pics and video.

garstro

#12 Post by garstro » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:23 pm

Would like to post pics & video if I knew how. Don't want to pay for storage. Youtube or Imgur or ?

Mraster2

#13 Post by Mraster2 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:27 pm

garstro wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:51 pm
Opted for 21mp industrial camera with hdmi using .5x adapter. Works great for newby like me.
Hi @garastro thanks for your comments, yep, I see your thinking :) do you have a link to the sort of (example of) setup you mention ?
I have the reverse situation, I already have a dslr and am wondering about pressing it into service for a while.

Also:-
It is not the normal thing to do with a shiny new 'scope, but I wonder :--
if you have had the need to look at the trino tube to tell if it disassembles into shorter pieces ?

I like the idea of the NDPL that @sleek mentioned but it is a bit confusing which adapter and which X goes with what camera etc., also they cost a fair proportion of the cost of the 'scope, so the problem at 40x is a bit of a downer :( Thanks @sleek for mentioning that, good to know to pour into the mix !

I have a 20x cheap achro, via ebay, to play with and compare on my heirloom 'scopes but no way of commenting on how it would do on a 380 sorry.

sleekdigital

#14 Post by sleekdigital » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:33 pm

garstro wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:23 pm
Would like to post pics & video if I knew how. Don't want to pay for storage. Youtube or Imgur or ?
Yeah youtube works just fine. And for stills you can post images here on the forum. See the "Attachments" tab below where you write your message.

sleekdigital

#15 Post by sleekdigital » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:37 pm

Mraster2 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:27 pm

I like the idea of the NDPL that @sleek mentioned but it is a bit confusing which adapter and which X goes with what camera etc., also they cost a fair proportion of the cost of the 'scope, so the problem at 40x is a bit of a downer :( Thanks @sleek for mentioning that, good to know to pour into the mix !
If you get a "t-mount" adapter that will fit on your camera, you can use that with the NDPL. The chromatic aberration might be within your tolerance zone. I will post some pics from the 40x so you can see what you think.

garstro

#16 Post by garstro » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:01 pm

Looked at scope & i wouldn't attempt to change anything. Scope came with adapter that fits on tritube that is somewhat adjustable (threaded). Have been able to change out .5x adapter to 1x adapter by adjustment. 1x adapter increases image by about 1/3 but loose definition at 60+x. I would think if you can find correct adapter for dslr? I have a Koppace 21mp ( I think they are just generic china cameras) Hayear makes industrial cameras also.