Nikon Ske or other Nikon?

Here you can suggest and discuss Websites, books, and other resource materials.
Essaouira

Nikon Ske or other Nikon?

#1 Post by Essaouira » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi all,

I am about to purchase a nice black vintage Nikon Ske, but I've seen another Nikon one that I like, and I don't know wich one it is. It has separate coarse and fine focus. Does anyone recognize this model? Is it better than the Ske in terms of the fine focus?
Thank you very much,
Javier
Zeiss Jena Nf, Zeiss Jena LU, Lomo MBR-1/MBR-3, Leitz Laborlux II, Jiangnan Lg-copy, PZO Stereo

abednego1995

Re: Nikon Ske or other Nikon?

#2 Post by abednego1995 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:52 pm

Looks like there's no image?

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:39 am

Several of the Nikons have possible issues with a plastic fine focus gear - including at least some S models. It needs checking. John (above) is likely the most expert forum member.

The Nikon S-Ke is a beatiful scope and capable of good images - with short barrel Apos often available at an affordable price. I also believe it is the first Nikon and the only S model to have Kohler illumination. If you want an older black Nikon - it's probably the one to have -- assuming the fine focus gear is OK. It's also more portable than later lab-quality Nikon scopes.

However, if you want the option of modern optics (better contrast, wider fields, probably easier if more $$$ to find outstanding objectives), then a more recent Nikon or other scope would be worth considering.

Essaouira

#4 Post by Essaouira » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:42 am

Thanks!! I am having problems with inserting the photo, I'm trying now again....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y5JCFjptwUyDgyb9A
Zeiss Jena Nf, Zeiss Jena LU, Lomo MBR-1/MBR-3, Leitz Laborlux II, Jiangnan Lg-copy, PZO Stereo

abednego1995

#5 Post by abednego1995 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:37 pm

Thanks, that makes it clearer.
That's the earliest version of the S-Ke in production from 1963-65.
As Pete points out, this particular version with separate knobs for coarse/fine focus doesn't suffer from nylon gear fracture that is endemic with the later models. However, from the photo the scope isn't in a good state. Corrosion, hard worked stage, and above all it's missing it's lamp socket. I wouldn't go for it unless it's dirt cheap.

Cheers,
John

Essaouira

#6 Post by Essaouira » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:54 pm

Thank you very much to allí. Finally I've acquired a fine focus suspicious Ske with DLL phase contraste. Hope It works!

Best regards
Javier