Biology major needing resources

Here you can suggest and discuss Websites, books, and other resource materials.
microbe fanatic

Biology major needing resources

#1 Post by microbe fanatic » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:22 pm

Hi everyone. I am starting college this fall, does anyone have a suggestion of any good books to help a biology major out? (p.s. I am also getting a chemistry minor cause it's required!) Thanks!

JimT

Re: Biology major needing resources

#2 Post by JimT » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:27 pm

Simple answer. Ask your instructor. Most of the books I have been able to find are written for young students or from the early 20'th century.

Stay with this site because there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here.

houstontx

#3 Post by houstontx » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:31 am

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21054/

Probably an updated version but I remember this was a biggie when I was in college.

I would take a look at torrent sites and see what you can find, you'd be surprised at what is out there in .pdf format.

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:13 pm

^ That book was our biggie too, when I got in grad school 12 years ago. It has lots of figures to illustrate complex biological processes. I will highly recommend it as well.

charlie g

#5 Post by charlie g » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:19 pm

Congradulations on your declared college major and declared college minor (already your plan has started!). I agree with Jim T...attend the pre class orientation, look at the variety of academic pathways within the two areas you mentioned, see how you will mix campus life with housing, work, etc..best of luck with you career paths...for now work with your college faculty on resources...please don't get into others suggested readings at this time...so big a world...so little time! all the best, charlie guevara