Narcotizing, Slowing Down, and Preserving Microscopic and other Aquatic Animals

Here you can suggest and discuss Websites, books, and other resource materials.
billbillt

Narcotizing, Slowing Down, and Preserving Microscopic and other Aquatic Animals

#1 Post by billbillt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:55 am

Here is a link to a seemingly complete explanation of this subject..

https://www.mccrone.com/mm/narcotizing- ... c-animals/

BillT

75RR

Re: Narcotizing, Slowing Down, and Preserving Microscopic and other Aquatic Animals

#2 Post by 75RR » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:39 am

Thanks. Useful info.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

zzffnn

Re: Narcotizing, Slowing Down, and Preserving Microscopic and other Aquatic Animals

#3 Post by zzffnn » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:48 am

Wow! Very comprehensive!
Lidocaine was not mentioned though, surprisingly.

billbillt

#4 Post by billbillt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:39 pm

I thought everyone would find this paper useful....
BillT

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:50 pm

Very interesting and useful. One of the things that has bothered me for about 3 decades is the effect , the increased heat, light and change in dissolved gases have on protist behaviour. I'm not sure what a frantic amoeba looks like but I think I have seen them streaking for cover, if that is what it is called.

Of late , I have been using very low light, and also rely on a remote illuminator in order to lower the heat, sometimes. This is one of the benefits of the remote illuminator/mirror combination used almost exclusively in the past. I'm not a fan of microscopes with the entire illumination system , right under the stage.

If the term can be used, I am seeing a more relaxed behaviour under the more natural conditions. I am just waiting now, for a relaxed nematode to make it's entrance.

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:44 pm

I am just waiting now, for a relaxed nematode to make it's entrance.
That would be a first :)

Rodney

#7 Post by Rodney » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:57 am

I agree lots of good alternatives, ethyl alcohol is my favorite, being drunk enough most slow down and may dance a little. A good clean formula.
I have killed many insects for viewing with alcohol if any is left. :lol:

Rodney

einman

#8 Post by einman » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:15 am

apochronaut wrote:Very interesting and useful. One of the things that has bothered me for about 3 decades is the effect , the increased heat, light and change in dissolved gases have on protist behaviour. I'm not sure what a frantic amoeba looks like but I think I have seen them streaking for cover, if that is what it is called.

Of late , I have been using very low light, and also rely on a remote illuminator in order to lower the heat, sometimes. This is one of the benefits of the remote illuminator/mirror combination used almost exclusively in the past. I'm not a fan of microscopes with the entire illumination system , right under the stage.

If the term can be used, I am seeing a more relaxed behaviour under the more natural conditions. I am just waiting now, for a relaxed nematode to make it's entrance.

There is extensive discussion regarding behavior of protists under the varying conditions you mentioned in the book General Protozoology by Dogiel. Quite fascinating.

einman

#9 Post by einman » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:39 am

I was thinking of doing an experiment where you would introduce a very low concentration of an antiseptic like Listerine etc. Chloroseptic is another one as it has benzocaine. Though Benzocaine is somewhat less water soluble compared to lidocaine and under certain circumstances is considered to have less of an anesthetizing effect. The effects of Benzocaine tend to fade faster as well.

Given the chemistry Lidocaine is probably superior for immobilizing protists.

gekko

#10 Post by gekko » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Another paper (PDF) on the subject that I came across:
http://www.formatex.info/microscopy5/book/833-837.pdf

75RR

#11 Post by 75RR » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:24 pm

I also came across that article looking for the famous disappearing Taylor Microcompressor, Mark II.
One would think there would be a trace of it somewhere!

gekko

#12 Post by gekko » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:30 pm

75RR wrote:I also came across that article looking for the famous disappearing Taylor Microcompressor, Mark II.
One would think there would be a trace of it somewhere!
I think the problem is that they would probably not make enough money on it to justify manufacturing it for sale.