wanted: textbook/course suggestions for Pathology, Haematology

Here you can suggest and discuss Websites, books, and other resource materials.
mes0

wanted: textbook/course suggestions for Pathology, Haematology

#1 Post by mes0 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:48 pm

Good day,

I am interested in obtaining knowledge about haematology and pathology.
If I had the time I would just do a lab tech diploma, but I don't, so it's going to be DIY at home learning :)

I've been looking for good books/courses that will teach me everything I need to understand all I see in my/others' blood.

Two pathology related books that look good but are very expensive are:

Laboratory Diagnosis of Infectious Diseases: Essentials of Diagnostic Microbiology 1st (first) Edition by Engelkirk Ph.D. MT(ASCP), Paul G., Duben-Engelkirk EdD MT( published by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (2007)
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00E322 ... L6GZX4CHHT

and

Cell Wall Deficient Forms, Third Edition: Stealth Pathogens
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0849387 ... YIK6Y9EEQB

Any comments/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.
Shopping for a nice Scope.

-Currently have monocular olympus students scope.

billbillt

Re: wanted: textbook/course suggestions for Pathology, Haematology

#2 Post by billbillt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:19 pm

Hi mes0,

Here is a link to one that is not TOO expensive...

http://www.amazon.com/Hematology-Medica ... hematology

I have never looked into this one, but it gets great reviews overall... Hope this helps...

BillT

Crater Eddie

#3 Post by Crater Eddie » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:33 am

Hematology happens to be a subject near and dear to my heart.
If you want REAL hematology I'll be happy to discuss, if you want live blood analysis, which is nothing more or less than hucksterism, I'll have nothing to do with that.
You can't go wrong with "Clinical Hematology Principles, Procedures, Correlations" second edition by E. Anne Stiene-Martin, Cheryl A Lotspeich-Steininger and John A Koepke. I have used this book in Lab Tech class and highly recommend it as The Real Deal. This would be an excellent book to start with.
Do not under any circumstances get "Hematology in Practice" by Betty Ciesla. This book is horribly dumbed down and packed full of errors. Pitiful. I have exchanged emails with the author, she seems like a nice and knowledgeable person, but this book is a total waste of paper.
You will need at least one good hematology atlas. I recommend "The Morphology of Human Blood Cells" by Diggs, Sturm, and Bell (mine is the fifth edition), and "Clinical Hematology Atlas" by Jaqueline H. Carr and Bernadette F. Rodak.

I commend you wanting to learn hematology, just realize that you should not try to use any of these resources or knowledge gained to try to diagnose any illness in yourself or others.
CE

ETA:

http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Hematolo ... rrelations

http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Hematolo ... AC2NPQSJ1X

http://www.amazon.com/Morphology-Blood- ... DVW20YKWQZ

http://www.amazon.com/Morphology-Human- ... 0BFMPG4N7Y
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

mes0

#4 Post by mes0 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:51 am

Bill: Thanks, found a used copy for 8 bucks!

Eddie: Thanks for the extensive list. For the Clinical Hematology Principles will I be missing much by buying a 2e rather than the newer 2011 4e?

I'm interested in both hematology and live blood, to me, it's kind of odd that there's even a divide...it's kind of like saying the backside of a penny is not a penny. I've read plenty of both for and against live blood analysis for years now. I can see how people abuse it to sell supplements but also how it can be useful for seeing other things that are normally overlooked.

Why I shouldn't try to diagnose "illness" in myself? I appreciate the references you listed, but I don't like being patronized. Anyone who can succeed in diagnosing an illness in themselves or others ought to, because it could save/lengthen/improve their lives; with that said live blood analysis isn't the best way to diagnose many things... I've watched a lot of live blood analysis videos, and looked at a lot of pictures....some of the people doing this are jokes, others are tempered and clever and find things that lab techs and doctors miss (or more importantly don't look for).

Anyways I figure the only sensible thing I can do is learn all the hematology and pathology stuff that is accepted first, and then decide for myself what is and isn't bs...otherwise I'm always just taking some other guy's opinion...

Perhaps you can tell me about your personal experience with both hematology and live blood analysis and why you seem to deem the former to be the ONLY worthwhile method of examining blood, and why you consider the latter trash?

Thanks.

Seb28

#5 Post by Seb28 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:15 pm

-Reichert Polyvar
-Olympus IX70
-Zeiss Photomicroscope
-Canon 600D

Crater Eddie

#6 Post by Crater Eddie » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:27 pm

The older edition is a good book, and it's cheap, would be a good starter book for anybody interested in hematology. If you don't mind paying for the new edition then go for it, it undoubtedly has updated information.
No patronization intended. I have no idea of your educational background or skill set. By all means learn all you can, I am all for that, it's a fascinating subject. If you want to diagnose yourself, well, that's your business. Diagnosing other people without proper training is another matter.
Get a good text book, get a good cell morphology atlas, you really need both as they compliment one another.
Study these materials and you will see where much of the live blood analysis stuff falls short.

CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

Crater Eddie

#7 Post by Crater Eddie » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:40 pm

mes0, I'm sorry if I seemed harsh. I see so many of those videos of the live blood analysis people making such silly claims that I just can't take any of it seriously.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

mes0

#8 Post by mes0 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:21 pm

Thanks Eddie.

It doesn't bother me if anyone is harsh on live blood analysis...but I always appreciate knowing the reasons why.
Perhaps after I've studied hematology for a year or more I will come to the same conclusions...but for right now it's hard to imagine it as completely useless.

Definitely going to get some of these books ordered.

gekko

#9 Post by gekko » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:43 pm

Hi mes0,
mes0 wrote:It doesn't bother me if anyone is harsh on live blood analysis...but I always appreciate knowing the reasons why.
I don't know whether you've seen the information that the following links point to, or whether they offer reasons that will convince you, but I'll take your word that this won't bother you :) , and will suggest that you look at them:
http://www.chirobase.org/06DD/livecell.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_blood_analysis
http://www.csicop.org/si/show/the_pseud ... _analysis/

billbillt

#10 Post by billbillt » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi Gekko,

Thanks for the interesting links... I never knew that live blood testing was viewed in this way... BillT

Crater Eddie

#11 Post by Crater Eddie » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:37 pm

mes0 wrote:Thanks Eddie.
It doesn't bother me if anyone is harsh on live blood analysis...but I always appreciate knowing the reasons why.
Perhaps after I've studied hematology for a year or more I will come to the same conclusions...but for right now it's hard to imagine it as completely useless.
Definitely going to get some of these books ordered.

mes0, that's great! I hope you enjoy whichever books you end up with, hematology is a fascinating subject of study. I have recommendations for other reference materials for learning to make blood smears and staining that are good supplements to what you might find in your text books. If you need these at some point, just ask.

Gekko, thanks for posting those links.

Seb28, those are great links! Two hematology atlases and what looks like a very good text book, very good resources.

BillT, yes, we have discussed this before, but that must have been before you joined the forum. It might even have been on the "old" forum, I don't remember.

CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)