Books on specimen preparation and algae culturing

Here you can suggest and discuss Websites, books, and other resource materials.
MicroMan2

Books on specimen preparation and algae culturing

#1 Post by MicroMan2 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:52 am

I would like to know various sources that detail speciman preparation and developing various fixatives.
I would also like a beginner's guide on algae culturing

DaveH

Re: Books on specimen preparation and algae culturing

#2 Post by DaveH » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:49 am

Hi Miicroman2

Cultureing algae is simple you need to satisfy 4 requirements, you need a sample of the algae you want to grow, light you need to provide sufficient light, you can use a low energy light bulb 16 hours on 8 hours off, this mimics the growing season, heat you need to provide a temperature that mimics Sumer temperature, and food you can use liquid plant food miracle grow at the rate of 10ml per litre will work.
Oh I forgot time it's not going to happen quick from a small sample.

Dave

DaveH

#3 Post by DaveH » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:08 am

I found it quite hard to find information regarding slide mounting, as a novice most information in books and on the internet assumed I knew what I was doing. I did buy a great book but it only made reference to brand name products, as the company was no longer the book was mostly useless.
I purchased some of the Brunel microscopes kits just to get the information.
Then I stumbled upon a series of articles by the late Walter Dioni I can only describe them as outstanding, everything you might like to know is in them somewhere, you might find that the process you want is contained in small bits over 3 or 4 articles but it's all there, he recommends food colour for dyes but you can work in whatever dyes you like without any problems. You might find you have to read all his articles there outstanding.

Dave

Edit forgot the link http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... icles.html

Peter

#4 Post by Peter » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi Microman,
The most comprehensive book I know of on micro technique is "The Microtomist's Formulary and Guide" by Peter Gray. This is now somewhat dated but contains a vast quantity of information.
Hope this helps.
Peter.

charlie

#5 Post by charlie » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:19 pm

DaveH wrote: You might find you have to read all his articles they're outstanding. Dave
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... icles.html
I couldn't agree with you more Dave! His article on formalin/formaldehyde made that mystery clearer. I was shocked at how dilute many of his recommendations for staining are! Reading his articles saved a lot of lives that my staining likely would have caused! lol

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:15 pm

Hi, second that, Walter Dioni's fantastic series of articles are what started me off on my way - my interest is Botanical and I learned the basics from Walter's 'Onion' series - a great example tissue (onion epidermal peels) as it's thin (only 1 or 2 cells thick) and therefore a 'ready-made' tissue of a thinness suitable to process and mount as any microtome-cut plant tissue section would be!
He covers algae, tiny fauna etc also, right through various techniques for staining and mounting, both temporary and permanent techniques - that man taught me so much!

Walter D is the best starter-example source you will see in my opinion and experience, having worked personally through all his onion series and several others contained within his articles - a truly superb resource.
John B

Yvan

#7 Post by Yvan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:26 am

Last edited by Yvan on Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yvan

#8 Post by Yvan » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:12 am

Last edited by Yvan on Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yvan

#9 Post by Yvan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:52 am