Excellent 'Pie-Chart' of diversity of arthropods which are in our homes!

Here you can suggest and discuss Websites, books, and other resource materials.
charlie g

Excellent 'Pie-Chart' of diversity of arthropods which are in our homes!

#1 Post by charlie g » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:55 am

Hi all, from time to time spiders,mites, flies,and more enter into our microscopy postings ( a shout out to forum member: einman'!). Well 1/20/16 it made Canadian public radio ("As it happens" hosted by Carol Off, and Jeff Douglas)...Bugs in our homes. http://fusion.net/story/256716/more-tha ... our-house/

Homes somewhere in North Carolina were critically studied, room to room, in over fifty locations. California Academy of Science, with NCState, and North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences did the work...terrific hidden ecosystems...often independant of the human neighbors, though in a home ecosystem..it's one huge happy family.

If you can link to this Fusion news segment from 1/20/16..'bugs in our home'...fantastic pie chart with realistic color illustrations of the multitude of diverse orders of arthropods...sweet! And here we have a new mosquito borne virus working it's way up the americas...sigh. charlie guevara

einman

Re: Excellent 'Pie-Chart' of diversity of arthropods which are in our homes!

#2 Post by einman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:09 am

Interesting. The percentages played out somewhat as I would have expected though I would have thought spiders would have a higher percentage. Of course it could be that spiders are usually eradicated quickly when seen and thus this study is not entirely accurate.

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:26 am

Come to think of it..they state up front: 'only visible surfaces...not under furniture, not inside walls, not inside draws'!

But I love that pie-chart.

As I mentioned in somebodys thread a while back...I to date have not encountered a psuedoscorpian ( I love those little pincers)...and yet a worried coworker recently shared a tablet phone video clip of one from a wall in her home!

charlie guevara

DaveH

#4 Post by DaveH » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:55 am

Nice find looks like thers a lifetime of study without from the room I'm sitting in, I like the pie chart to.

Dave

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:16 pm

I suspect I have all of those and more. I found a dead mink in my house once.