Bausch & Lomb once produced a magazine. 1961

Here you can suggest and discuss Websites, books, and other resource materials.

rnabholz

Re: Bausch & Lomb once produced a magazine. 1961

#2 Post by rnabholz » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:09 pm

Very interesting and a real time machine.

Maybe best evidenced by the vision test that requires a cigarette.... Can't imagine that happening now a days... ;^)

Thanks for posting, I look forward to a more complete reading.

Rod

billbillt

#3 Post by billbillt » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:18 pm

Thanks for sharing.. Very interesting read..

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:46 am

Thanks, apochronaut for this historic microscope connection. Circa early 1930's in US, due depression years we experienced, that most economical student microscope first hatched by B&L...in 1930's it was marketed/ offered for the citizen microscope hobbyist...and for their children!

Your posting link to 1961 B&L trade magazine, that 1961 issues (?pg 32?) to Model ESM-1 (100X) , and Model ESM-2 (40 &100X) of student most economical microscopes...a fantastic and organic link to Bausch&Lomb's circa depression years ...1930's first introduction of these two stands.

The near post depression era names for these two low cost stands were: 'the GEM' , and the less costly stand.

I love the fact that circa 1961 B&L could still offer these two stands for students ( ahh the economic boom years in US ...the Eeisenhower (?sp?) years...B&L could offer; '$71.55 each for lots of five stands). charlie guevara
Attachments
014.JPG
014.JPG (144.24 KiB) Viewed 5042 times

Johann

#5 Post by Johann » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:33 am

Very interesting - thanks for sharing :)
Omax M837ZL
Olympus BX53
Leica MZ6
My Facebook Page
My YouTube Channel

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:34 pm

Thanks for the thanks. Those ST microscopes had a low fine focus too, remarkable in such a modest instrument.
I failed the eye-Q test on page 12, I think it is. I thought the paper clips were bicycle racks.

Charlie g. The Gem was originally called the LIttle Gem and goes back to the 1890's or thereabouts. I have one of those and the optics are surprisingly good. It has a solid cast iron foot for stability and one of those type objectives with the stacked lenses for 3 separate powers.
It was first marketed as a "Family Microscope", presumably vaulting off of the Victorian enthusiasm for parlour microscopy.......... " Louvenia, you MUST tell me all about your explorations into the sperm counts of all of your suitors. I am simply dieing to know, which one you have chosen? "

charlie g

#7 Post by charlie g » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:30 pm

I have one of those heavy iron 'slide tube' small microscopes..it is really very heavy...it was painted over with simple white paint by one of it's many owners...a really old stand. I should dig it out and look for clues to 'pedigree'...anything scribed on it...thanks for this advice on these slide tube small stands, apochronaut. Only if you can..I/we would love to hear about yours...perhaps with a forum image or two?

I guess that is why in the June 1935 issue of: "Nature"...the B&L ad calls the slide tube stand: "the New Gem"...your alerting me to these 'Gems' having deeper vintage than 1930's.

Dr.Julian D.Corrington ( introduced as a guest speaker at New York Microscopal Societies circa centenial...or the 101 year gala annual meeting...introduced as: 'The father of amatuer microscopy in America'!)...well this good doctor and microscopist is the reason I purchased (low cost...not a hot collectors item) the June 1935 issue of:"Nature".

Dr.J.D.Corrington's article jumped out at me" Tracking Microscopic Giants", "Photographs by Bausch and Lomb". Turns out this article exactly the sort of amature microscopy themed article as Oliver's "Microbe Hunter" now carries the stewardship for! Yes, yes..Dr.Corrington!

In this article..well an appeal to try microscopy at home...'an indoor sport many enjoy'..."But it so happens that I, like many of my neighbors,have gone in for microscopy, and own a machine that gives me a magnification ranging from 50 to 300X, and so at anytime I wish, I may study to my hearts content a parade of the invisible giants that thrive abundantly all about us.".

Naturally I googled Dr.Julian D.Corrington...he was local biological supply firm(?Wards?) in Rochester/NY...B&L contracted for Dr.Corrington to write brochures/pamphlets for their amatuer microscopes line. It was in that context an author (I need to go back to these online secondary sources now that you mention: "the Little Gem") went on and on about the near post depression era B*L low cost amature "New GeM" to reach the hobbyist...hmmm.

The eye opener was at the NYMS gala meeting as Dr.Corrington went over his microscopy paths...B&L and he were regular feature writers in "Nature" magazine for decades!

As had been forum commented to this great thread of yours...I chuckle at that ciggaret used for eye testing...it is so much a part of early 1960's...the ciggs! I have a 1967 11 horse power CubCadet tractor for simple hauling/simple horticulture...on this tractors simple dash board...is a chrome ciggaret lighter port!

all the best, charlie guevara

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:26 pm

International was just ahead of their time. They were promoting taking your smoking out of doors.
My John Deere 40 doesn't have an electric cigarette lighter, it is gasoline powered, so you have to start the engine to use it. It's terribly environmentally incorrect and wastes fossil fuels. It has 4 speeds, neutral and carbon un-neutral. The twin cylinder pistons are the size of paint cans. The muffler glows red hot at night and when you throttle up, flames come out the end.

lorez

#9 Post by lorez » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:09 am

The little publication is a great read.

Here is a little quiz for those who have not had the opportunity to see the insides of the B&L ST microscope.

How does the fine focus work ?

If you know, don't spoil the guessing (at least for a couple of days).

lorez

This is an edited afterthought. In a week, or so, I'll try to post an exploded microscope so everyone can see the system.