Insert from a 1941 Spencer catalog.

Here you can suggest and discuss Websites, books, and other resource materials.
apochronaut

Insert from a 1941 Spencer catalog.

#1 Post by apochronaut » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:22 pm

I acquired a bunch of old Spencer catalogs, a while ago. One titled, Accessories for Spencer Microscopes has a one page insert inside titled:

Suspended Items . Supplement to Catalog M-69 . Accessories for Spencer Microscopes .September 1 1941

It is a listing of catalogued items no longer in production due to the national emergency, 10 achromat objectives, 2 fluorite objectives, 3 apochromats, 10 eyepieces, 7 reticles,1 condenser,1 vertical illuminator,2 polarizers, 2 mechanical stages, 3 camera lucidas, 2 slide boxes and 11 magnifiers.

75RR

Re: Insert from a 1941 Spencer catalog.

#2 Post by 75RR » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:52 pm

That is curious. I wonder if it was due to a shortage of materials or perhaps a change in the production line to make something war related?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

apochronaut

Re: Insert from a 1941 Spencer catalog.

#3 Post by apochronaut » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:40 pm

Well, it is more than a bit odd because the date of the attack on Pearl Harbour was 3 months later. It is possible that Spencer had been commandeered to provide equipment such as gun scopes or sights to Britain under the lend-lease plan. FDR issued an unlimited state of national emergency in May 1941. I can't see that there would have been any rationing as yet, though.

I do know this about musical instruments, though.

Sometime later their was rationing instituted and in June 1942 , General Limitation order L-37 was issued limiting the use of critical materials in musical instruments to no more than 10% of the total weight. The drum companies Gretsch, Ludwig, Rogers, Leedy and Slingerland had to limit the percentage of critical materials, so they started making tensioning lugs and other previously metal components out of maple. Slingerland even dubbed their model, The Rolling Bomber series. Other companies , such as the well known brass and woodwind mfg., Conn, actually Ludwig's, parent co. switched from musical instruments to being the exclusive mfg. of altimeters for the U.S. armed forces.