Is it possible to observe cell wall synthesis under microscope

Here you can suggest and discuss Websites, books, and other resource materials.
ZHR

Is it possible to observe cell wall synthesis under microscope

#1 Post by ZHR » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:49 pm

I assume it's really difficult but I'm interested to see photos or videos of this happen.
Thanks.

apochronaut

Re: Is it possible to observe cell wall synthesis under microscope

#2 Post by apochronaut » Fri May 01, 2020 1:32 am

I would think it would be possible to a degree but you would be limited by the available high resolution capability of your system plus whether you could highlight certain structures without killing the subject. I am assuming you want to magnify the cell wall as much as is possible in order to view processes in as great a detail as possible. mrsonchus has a fair amount of experience in sectioning and staining and might have some suggestions how to obtain contrast enhancement of a living cell wall plus how to get the sample thin enough to view clearly. Hopefully he will chime in.
One of the qualities a light microscope has over an electron microscope, is that it is much easier to observe processes. For many years, electron microscopes were limited to observing structure because you had to kill the subject and observe it in a vacuum but techniques are evolving .

As the magnification goes up with a light microscope, sample preparation becomes increasingly important.

One of the problems I can see is that you need a fairly thin sample; thin enough that you could view the cell wall as it developed in high resolution and as well obtain enough light transmission to illuminate the developing system well.

It is possible the plant itself might help you. I would be inclined to try to view a damaged portion of tissue. Onion cells are well known for being fairly large, quite transparent, and they divide rapidly. A damaged onion would likely accelerate it's tissue growth in the damaged area. I might suggest something that is actively growing like a young spring onion root or possibly tissue out of a developing potato eye. Onion might be best because of it's transparency and it's stainability. If a small root protruding from the end of a green onion was sliced diagonally, the thickness should feather out at the bottom of the cut at the epidermis to a fairly thin layer ; epidermis thin. The root will try to callous that wound as fast as possible and you might get a view of some very thin areas dividing rapidly in order to do so. It will have to be kept humid and possibly introducing some rooting hormone or sweet potato serum would likely increase the growth.
Just some thoughts.

Hobbyst46

Re: Is it possible to observe cell wall synthesis under microscope

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:35 am

ZHR wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:49 pm
I assume it's really difficult but I'm interested to see photos or videos of this happen.
Thanks.
Zohar, perhaps this will serve as lead
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6287495/