Student microscopes - Leica BME, AO/Reichert 160, and Swift 400 w/ phase contrast

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
uglyjeep

Student microscopes - Leica BME, AO/Reichert 160, and Swift 400 w/ phase contrast

#1 Post by uglyjeep » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:17 pm

I've decided that I should find a compound microscope that will better suit my needs, but I need to "free up" some funds before I can move forward. So, I'm listing many of the scopes that I picked up at a recent auction. Feel free to make an offer on any of them.

I have 2 of the Leica BME microscopes available in good condition. Each is set up with a monocular head, Leica E1 optics (10x WF eyepeice and 4X, 10X, 40X, and 100X achro objectives), mechanical XY stage, 1.25 condenser, and fluorescent light source.

From looking at what else is available it seems that $150 each may be a fair price, but I cant find any quite the same to base the price on (most don't seem complete) - feel free to make an offer.

I also have some Reichert Jung and AO 160 student scopes. Varying condition (Good working shape to parts). They all are monocular scopes with 10x WF eyepeices, 3 objectives (4X, 10X, and 43X) in a 4 position nosepiece, and disc diaphragms. A few have have the mechanical stage. The optics appear to be in good shape on all, but one or two have eyepieces with minor scratches (I can switch them around to the less complete scopes).

I had some local interest at $50 ea on the nicer ones, but I think that is a bit high. To start I guess $40 +shipping on the good working units and ??? on the others.

Additionally, I ended up with a handful of Swift Collegiate 400 student microscopes with the Quodmaster 100 phase setup. I haven't gotten a chance to really look at these, but most seem to have either some issue with the light source (2 that I looked at have no power to the bulb socket) or mechanical stage. All but 2 have teaching heads. Many have a field iris diaphragm and blue filter. All are equipped with a W10X eyepiece (some have a 2nd eyepiece w/ measurement reticle) and 4X, Quod phase 10X, Quod phase 40X, and Quod phase 100X objectives. I'll start sorting through these this weekend, and piece together (if necessary) a couple good working units.

I have no idea on these - I cant find any comparable scopes. All of the phase contrast equipment I've seen is for research quality scopes. For right now, I'll say contact me for further details or to make an offer.

I'm not looking to sell all of these microscopes, just enough to fund some equipment. The left over units in decent shape are going to end up in Mexico for local students to use at a field research station, and possibly a few for a high school science teacher there as well.

SutherlandDesmids

Re: Student microscopes - Leica BME, AO/Reichert 160, and Swift 400 w/ phase contrast

#2 Post by SutherlandDesmids » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:42 am

I hope you don't mind a non-commercial message, but that is a thoroughly decent thing you plan to do.
“If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg.”

-- Apsley Cherry-Garrard, 'The Worst Journey in the World' vol. ii p. 578

uglyjeep

Re: Student microscopes - Leica BME, AO/Reichert 160, and Swift 400 w/ phase contrast

#3 Post by uglyjeep » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:28 pm

No worries and thanks!