Uncommonly Nice Auction in Two Days, 10/11 - 13

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Bemoc

Uncommonly Nice Auction in Two Days, 10/11 - 13

#1 Post by Bemoc » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:12 am

While I am super cautious about auctions, this one I have been waiting for is almost upon us. So far there are very few bids or watchers. It is a combination of parts, eyepieces, objectives, filters, and complete microscopes (mainly Microstar IVs), as well as many books on micro/macro photography and all the gear for that. Fancy microtomes, and plain ones; illuminators, heads, stages, and on and on, one quality manufacturer after the next. Also in this sale is lots of telescope stuff and also woodworking stuff. It seems all to be the private stash of one man in Ohio. I sure would like to meet that guy. Originally, I was keeping it a secret but now I am not buying myself, as I am on self-imposed microscope buying restriction for now. :| Go to www.proxibid.com, type 'microscope' in the search. The sale is called Buddy Barton sale, in case you want to see all of the items available, not just the microscope ones.

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: Uncommonly Nice Auction in Two Days, 10/11 - 13

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:37 pm

Way to bury the lede not mentioning the dozen or so exquisite harmonicas
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:08 pm

Are you local to the sale (Mentor, Ohio)? Seems the 17% premium and all shipping handled by a chosen freight company will be an obstacle for most of us, even bids stay low? There are a few decent items there.

Bemoc

#4 Post by Bemoc » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:48 pm

Nope, not local, but last time I looked prices were quite low, making the 17% negligible. Using the ol' "compared-to-what?-o-meter".

hans

#5 Post by hans » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:15 pm

How exactly does shipping work for this sort of auction? Sounds like neither proxibid nor the auctioneer are directly involved, and it is up to the buyer to arrange for someone to show up at the specified location and time, pack the stuff, and ship it? What does "SMALLS WILL PICK UP AND DELIVER" mean?

Bemoc

#6 Post by Bemoc » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:39 pm

Shipping works like this, for this type of auction. Not for Government / Public surplus auctions, that is different but I'll explain. For this type, more of a private thing, where they did NOT say "Absolutely No Shipping" I call the auctioneer. I chat him or her up for a brief minute then explain what I am wanting to bid on. I ask if they could ship X items, and also ask them to define "Smalls". I offer a small handling charge, or agree to one, and in my experience they say OK fine. So far, they have done so about 95% of the time.

Auction like the Public Surplus or where they really won't ship, I get the name of the town and call the local UPS store. Mind you, only if it is a screamingly great deal. I feel I still come out ahead, by far, as long as I am super careful about what I bid on.

Last, auctioneers seem extremely willing to answer questions, take a measurement, whatever you need. It's what they do.

Element 56

#7 Post by Element 56 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:41 pm

If anyone plans on buying anything from this auction be sure to get a quote on shipping before bidding. I used to do a lot of these online auctions and the freight charges can be pretty extreme. I didn't read through this one but most of the auctioneers use third party shipping and they will give you the shippers contact info for a quote.

Kirby

Bemoc

#8 Post by Bemoc » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:43 pm

To echo Kirby, make sure you let them know first. Since COVID, however, I find that most are moving to inhouse shipping. After all, they can no longer hold public auctions - many of them, anyway - so they have to sell their goods somehow. But if you declare you need shipping AFTER the auction, instead of before, you will generally be SOL. One is required to register prior to bidding in any auction, so when you do so, there is a spot for notes to the auctioneer. I always write "I Need Shipping!", in addition to trying to contact them prior even to registering. The ones that use those expensive freight houses tend to be the institutional and government auctions, as well as a few auction houses that do a stiff trade in super high-end used lab equipment, up to electron microscopes. Also some houses in high-density lab zones, like Silicon Valley and the RDU triangle in North Carolina. IF they insist on using one of those expensive shippers I won't bid.

Point: times have changed. I've seen Nikon X-phots go for $18, with a $100 shipping charge. Still worth it? You decide. A 20 lb. microscope - average for a vintage scope with all the trimmings - can cost $65 to get to you if you live in the same country. I have sometimes looked at auctions in London, like on Catawiki, and have found that the stated shipping charges are reasonable. Again, provided the value is there in the merchandise. I personally have gotten most of my scopes for under $40, with shipping $100, and find the same scope selling all day every day for $500. So I like it, and I lose far more auctions than I win because I (usually) know when to stop.

Look, I recommended this auction because they are shipping-friendly, there are tons of small lots, like of objectives and such, and it looks like quality merchandise that is difficult to find. I wish I could bid on some things, but for me I have figured out that I'd better learn to use the stuff I have before acquiring more. That is something I have learned right here, and just in the last week or so. I am jealous of those who will be getting some mighty good gear. I think it's a great - looking auction, and I wanted to share it since I cannot have it all to myself. :lol:

hans

#9 Post by hans » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:52 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't really planning to bid on anything (already have way too many 410s with missing parts and blue masking tape out in my garage) but was curious about the process since I have only ever bought stuff on eBay.

Bemoc

#10 Post by Bemoc » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:12 am

LOL come on, now, that's just ONE item, and so far nobody bid on it. However, I'm with you. Wouldn't touch it for love nor money, and I don't even have a broken down 410.

Scarodactyl

#11 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:53 am

I see a nice rare AO 580 stereo with the even rarer trinoc port. Very nice scope.

BrianBurnes

#12 Post by BrianBurnes » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:30 am

For the low price of $79 I picked up (among others) this assortment of eyepieces and Reichert objectives. 6.5x/10x/20x/40x RMS plan epi objectives, and 10x plan epi/20x plan epi/50x plan fluor epi/100x plan fluor objectives with a much larger thread, likely from the Polyvar line of microscopes. The last one is curious, it is the only 100x air objective (0.95 NA) I've seen so far. Also includes 7 AO #176 objectives, a pair of Zeiss 12.5x W high eyepoint eyepieces and Zeiss 8x Kpl eyepieces (don't have any Zeiss scopes - will likely get rid of them).

The box came with a number of curiosities and the odd microscope parts, most interesting of which a set of 4 aluminum adapters to fit the large polyvar objectives onto a standard RMS thread. These are unbranded and aluminum is an odd material for it, so I'm guessing these were custom/handmade. I'm not sure how useful the larger objectives would have been on a Micro/Diastar stand, but I will certainly try it. In any case, these are gorgeous objectives, very big and heavy and in very good condition. Elated with this find - thanks Bemoc for linking it!

stitchy.mitch

#13 Post by stitchy.mitch » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:56 am

Well done Brian, quite the deal.