Wanted: Leitz HM-LUX TL illuminator unit

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Galf

Wanted: Leitz HM-LUX TL illuminator unit

#1 Post by Galf » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:08 pm

Hi,

Recently I laid my hands on a specimen of the most basic version of the Leitz HM-LUX microscope with the intention to use it as backup-scope for the main one which is currently setup for phase contrast. Currently the upgrade is in progress: XY-stage mounted, the amazingly simple illumination unit is replaced by a standard exchangeable condenser-holder wit a bathtub condenser with filter holder, a 5-round objective revolver and with the LED from my upgraded SM-POL, things start to look really bright with the NPl-objectives from the other scope! Perhaps a binocular head in the future but for now I can use the one from the other scope.

I must say it is rather enjoyable to modify this sweet little microscope myself...

However, I would like to modify a TL illuminator (the AC lamp house mounted on the base) with LED and diaphragm but these units are quite hard to source for a price less than the microscope itself. Mine lacked one because of the basic illumination/condenser unit.
I hope anyone has one for spare or otherwise I can trade it for the simple stage-mounted 6V-5W lamp/condenser unit.
IMG_20200816_155849_1.jpg
IMG_20200816_155849_1.jpg (142.68 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
Somehow only Leitz in the picture.

Galf

Re: Wanted: Leitz HM-LUX TL illuminator unit

#2 Post by Galf » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:25 pm

This was the old lamp / 'condenser', directly attached to the stage. By turning you can move it up- and downward a bit to adjust brightness and contrast.
Trafo needed for the BA9S-bulb.
IMG_20200726_133621_1.jpg
IMG_20200726_133621_1.jpg (49.79 KiB) Viewed 2068 times

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:25 pm

I've adapted LED headlamps for this sort of application. Ones with a bright single die. Seem to be a thousand choices - aim for something that will approximate the same illumination. Worst case, if it doesn't fit, you know have a headlamp for camping, power outages, work in dark spaces etc.

Galf

#4 Post by Galf » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:42 pm

Sort of tried that, bought a selection of bulbs fitting in the original setup but to limited results. It is quite difficult to get the ideal position of the LED and output was also disappointing. Besides, this setup is really limited in performance because it is not a real condenser but a kind of frosted window.

This is what I'm looking for and whith some tweaking should be useful enough (pic from inet):
HM-LUX-lamp.jpg
HM-LUX-lamp.jpg (49.76 KiB) Viewed 2051 times