Wild phase objectives - swap

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
patta

Wild phase objectives - swap

#1 Post by patta » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:21 am

Some time ago, in objective craze, I've bought two phase objectives for my Wild M11.
Now, I've sold the M11, and never had phase condenser anyway.
I have the 2, Wild system, 37mm parfocal:
40x 0.65 dry Ph
50x 1.0 oil. Ph fluotar

I'll swap them for non-phase objectives- if somebody of you strangely has the phase setup without objectives...

Ideally I'm looking for low magnification, high NA objectives of any brand. Like, the same 50x Wild, non-phase. Or Lomos of weird parfocal lenghts.
If nobody's interested, the 50x will be disassembled and "phased-out" ! :lol:
Attachments
40x and 50x
40x and 50x
PSX_20201113_121327.jpg (48.57 KiB) Viewed 3200 times

PeteM

Re: Wild phase objectives - swap

#2 Post by PeteM » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:03 pm

I've just finished adapting a Wild phase contrast set to a Nikon S (actually an L-Ke) microscope. Added simple polarization and LED illumination as well. The Wild phase condenser requires about a 1.5mm a larger holding diameter than the Nikon - but there is enough metal in the Nikon condenser holder to easily bore it out and make the switch.

So, someone else may have a use for your phase objectives knowing they could be fairly easily adapted to a Nikon S or L-Ke? Wild phase condensers and phase objectives seem relatively available and affordable in the US -- while the Wild Heerbrugge scopes (especially with trinocular heads) seem harder to find. The Wild-Nikon combination looks good and works well. And the Wild phase optics are good enough to deserve a second chance.

I do happen to have a non-phase version of your 50x Wild na 1.0. that I don't need. I suspect, though, that postage and pandemic-related shipping delays both ways would still make it more sensible for you to "phase out" your objective than do a swap. Unless, perhaps, there is someone closer.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:03 pm

PeteM wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:03 pm
I do happen to have a non-phase version of your 50x Wild na 1.0. that I don't need. I suspect, though, that postage and pandemic-related shipping delays both ways would still make it more sensible for you to "phase out" your objective than do a swap. Unless, perhaps, there is someone closer.
I wish I could afford to subsidize the shipping ... we are after all talking about instruments and components that will have subsequent owners - time to think beyond ourselves
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:20 pm

FWIW, I believe the original poster's intent in "phasing out" his 50x objective is to just remove the phase ring - and use the rest of the objective. Small loss. This works fine on converting something like a Nikon CFN 4x for inverted phase use to a regular CFN 4x for upright use. A few minutes work. I assume from the original post that the Wild 50x phase ring is also easily accessible and not part of a correcting element??

I recently had something shipped from Germany to the US. The cost was extraordinary -- and it still arrived nearly two months late. Thus my concern about shipping to and from Norway.

Don't know the current situation to/from Norway or between Norway and much of the Euro area. From the UK or Australia to the US is pretty good though - not horribly expensive or too long delayed. From the Russia to the US - long delays. From China to the US - still pretty reasonable. Better in fact than to and from our next door neighbor, Canada.

In any case, I surely agree on seeing great old instruments see second and third lives. Hence the post on using a Nikon stand to host those Wild phase optics.

patta

#5 Post by patta » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:02 am

Pete, I'll go for the swap of the 50x; unless somebody nearer pops up.

If make sense in terms of money: postage as simple letter is about 10$ from my side, guess the same as yours. Total 20$. Time, maybe for Christmas?
I've paid originally 60$ for the two objectives together, + 10$ shipping.
Otherwise I'll try to sell them on bay for same price.

Most important: do you have the right condenser phase rings? And 2: do you actually need the 40 or 50x Phase, or you have them already?

Removing the phase ring from the objective, I fear is out:
I've looked around and most often the phase ring is directly etched onto a lens, and worse, put in the middle between two cemented lenses. I tried to look into the 50x, and may be the case.
It will mean one week of work to remove it, and 0.1% success rate in reassembling it correctly. Oh and the oil seal in the front lens :?

Yes I too believe that ancient objectives are masterpieces of fine craftmanship; but their survival is dependent on their usability.
The 50x, I use it because of low power immersion, it seems to give much more detail and clarity than a 40x dry.

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:17 pm

Hi Patta,
the Zeiss West Neofluar Ph2 16 has it's phase ring within a a cemented lens group. These phase rings are fairly fragile and it probably is a good idea to place them inside a lens group and not on a surface in contact with air. So it is likely that de-phasing the objective will be difficult.
Are you sure you don't want to use it with it's phase ring? A fitting and usable condenser annulli would be fairly easy to make.

Bob

PeteM

#7 Post by PeteM » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:35 pm

Patta - PM sent. I don't need the 40x phase. The 50x phase is of possible use and I have the 50/100x annulus; but I already have a 4 place turret full of 10-20-40x phase and a100x fluor phase objectives. The scope will likely go on to a "Micronaut's" family at some point. I just need to find a better field lens for the Nikon L-Ke (a sort of chimney hat looking piece) to have it in good working order.

patta

#8 Post by patta » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:15 pm

Filter tray annulus 40x; two eccentric pieces
Filter tray annulus 40x; two eccentric pieces
PSX_20201114_211821.jpg (81.01 KiB) Viewed 2999 times
So good.
PeteM, thank you very much for the interest.
Will the 50x be useful on side of the 100× ? You'll see.
Yes the Wild trinoculars seem very rare; your assembling is interesting. Lucky the kid that will have it for Christmas!

Bob - I've tried to make a condenser phase annulus, for the 40x , to go on the filter tray of the Wild M11.
The project was too ambitious ( two eccentric rings, to allow centering, 3D printed) and worked very wobbly; we need <<0.5mm precision in centering the annulus. Probably also the diameter was a bit off; I've got from it just a couple of 'maybe' phase visions, after lot of adjusting, then I gave up and decided that side illumination is easier and not so bad. Now I don't have the M11 anymore and the annulus is too small for other filrer trays- but may try again.

A more successful attempt for the same annuli: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8900&sid=7582ce833 ... c3#p76739

I'm working now on a project where I really don't want the phase ring inside the objective, while a low power high NA like the 50x 1.0 is great. That's why it should go.