AO Cycloptic Stereo

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Element 56

AO Cycloptic Stereo

#1 Post by Element 56 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:35 pm

I have this really nice stereo scope that I don't need so I'm going to offer it here before listing on eBay. Price is $225 plus freight. I'm it's a US sale only.

The microscope is in great condition. The prisms in the binoculars have been reinforced at the suggestion of apochronaut. I know I've had them break off and their not easy to get lined up again. Everything works nicely, the objective turret cycles through all four or five (I forget how many) powers smoothly and the optics are clean. The eyepieces are 10x Cat. 146. It could use an upgraded light and the set screw that holds it fast to the objective needs a little spacer to keep it tight otherwise it does work. Outside of that I don't have anything bad to say about it and I've been very reluctant to sell it but I have to thin things out a little. I will probably be listing some more instruments in the near future.

Shipping USPS Priority Mail. I haven't packed it yet but the box I think I will be using measure 16x14x14" and the weigh is going to be around 18-20lbs fully packed. With that information you can calculate the shipping cost for yourself. It's shipping from 17601.

Kirby

BTW, the photo eyepiece does not come with it. It doesn't work well with this microscope anyway.
01.jpg
01.jpg (83.69 KiB) Viewed 6818 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (65.5 KiB) Viewed 6818 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (83.69 KiB) Viewed 6818 times

PeteM

Re: AO Cycloptic Stereo

#2 Post by PeteM » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:30 am

Nice scope, complete with a trinocular head.

Curious, what method was used to stabilize the prisms?

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:08 pm

That would have been a nice Christmas present for someone, Kirby. Can't remember if I recommended a method . Wattle and daub was it?
I still think you should hold out for a pair of those B & L U.W.F. 15X eyepieces for it. Eventually a pair will show up at a welcome price. They give the same actual field as the 10X at 1 1/2X the magnification. They aren't perfectly plan but the little bit of curvature at the edges of such a broad view is little payment for turning an older but excellent scope into a wide field beast......and the 10X in the photo tube still represents the field well enough.

Element 56

#4 Post by Element 56 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:12 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:08 pm
That would have been a nice Christmas present for someone, Kirby. Can't remember if I recommended a method . Wattle and daub was it?
I still think you should hold out for a pair of those B & L U.W.F. 15X eyepieces for it. Eventually a pair will show up at a welcome price. They give the same actual field as the 10X at 1 1/2X the magnification. They aren't perfectly plan but the little bit of curvature at the edges of such a broad view is little payment for turning an older but excellent scope into a wide field beast......and the 10X in the photo tube still represents the field well enough.
I have two more of these that I'm not selling. One is in use and the other is a spare. I have around 10 functional stereo microscopes so I just need to move one or two.

Reinforcing the prisms is done with capillary action. All you do is build up epoxy around the prisms and it fills in the gap up to the factory epoxy. It's simple but you have to take your time and not let too much epoxy build up that it would obstruct your view.

Merry Christmas!

Kirby

einman

#5 Post by einman » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:23 am

Hmm.I will check my prisms and apply Apo's suggestion. I have several cycloptics as well. Apo is correct. The view through a B&L UWF 15 x eyepiece is excellent!

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:49 am

Does anyone know for sure if A.O. used epoxy to cement these prisms? Been a while since I reglued some, but my recollection is that the existing cement was originally somewhat flexible?

Element 56

#7 Post by Element 56 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:37 pm

PeteM wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:49 am
Does anyone know for sure if A.O. used epoxy to cement these prisms? Been a while since I reglued some, but my recollection is that the existing cement was originally somewhat flexible?
The epoxy I use (West Systems G-Flex) is flexible, made for dissimilar materials and according to the manufacture it doesn't degas. I didn't pick at the factory adhesive so I don't know how flexible it is.

Kirby

dtsh

#8 Post by dtsh » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:23 am

apochronaut wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I tend to use the AO 10x(cat 146) and 15x (cat 147), leaving the UWF ones in their case most of the time; perhaps I should give them another shot.

I get a lot of use out of my Cycloptic, easily 4x times more often than my compound microscope; someone is going to get a very nice instrument. I have wondered what the trinocular is like on them, but I so rarely do imaging.

Element 56

#9 Post by Element 56 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:12 pm

dtsh wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:23 am
apochronaut wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I tend to use the AO 10x(cat 146) and 15x (cat 147), leaving the UWF ones in their case most of the time; perhaps I should give them another shot.

I get a lot of use out of my Cycloptic, easily 4x times more often than my compound microscope; someone is going to get a very nice instrument. I have wondered what the trinocular is like on them, but I so rarely do imaging.
Good question about the camera. I don't think I tried setting up my Canon although I did use my cellphone with a 10x eyepiece. I don't recall how much cropping there was.

Element 56

#10 Post by Element 56 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:13 pm

I'm going to reduce the price one time before moving to eBay. $185 plus shipping. Based on past sales of these the price is more than fair and unlike most eBay instruments this one is ready to be used.

You can calculate the shipping cost on your own using the info in my original post via USPS Priority Mail.

PayPal preferred. First come first serve.

Thanks
Kirby

apochronaut

#11 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:10 pm

Odd you can't sell it? A perfectly functional Cycloptic with a factory illuminator and photo tube !
If you could hack a photo into the Amscope site they would probably get orders for 10 in no time. Just put a slash through $550.00 and mark it down to $300.00.

dtsh

#12 Post by dtsh » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:26 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:10 pm
Odd you can't sell it? A perfectly functional Cycloptic with a factory illuminator and photo tube !
If you could hack a photo into the Amscope site they would probably get orders for 10 in no time. Just put a slash through $550.00 and mark it down to $300.00.
I know, I have a 59M, which for those who aren't familiar with the Cyclotic, is the same thing with an extra stop on the magni-changer and most don't have the photo tube included. I have been quite pleased with mine, it is my most used microscope.

A copy of the manual is here: https://user.xmission.com/~psneeley/Per ... Manual.pdf

Element 56

#13 Post by Element 56 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:41 pm

I just checked it and it has 5 positions. I don't think it matches what is displayed on the knob.

I need to stop messing with it because every time I do I think about keeping it. If someone here doesn't take it , it's possible it will never make it to eBay :mrgreen:

apochronaut

#14 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:20 pm

One came my way with the left hand knob on the right and visa versa. They are side specitic, for the mags. to line up.

dtsh

#15 Post by dtsh » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:35 am

Element 56 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:41 pm
I just checked it and it has 5 positions. I don't think it matches what is displayed on the knob.
Good to know, that would make it an "M", like mine, yielding 7x, 10x, 15, 20x and 25x with 10x eyepieces; then up to 40x with 15x eyepiece. Add a 2x barlow and it goes to 80x (at which magnification is still produces good views).

BramHuntingNematodes

#16 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:20 am

I spent too much time fixing up my sz7 or I'd buy it. Next joker that asks "what scope should I buy" is walking away with a cycloptic and a microbe hunter
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Element 56

#17 Post by Element 56 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:32 am

This one is sold to Mr. dtsh!

Kirby