help assessing microscope for purchase

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
moletteuk

help assessing microscope for purchase

#1 Post by moletteuk » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:46 pm

Hi, I'm new here, but have been reading avidly for a while. I currently have an ancient microscope that has a mirror for illumination and you have to tilt the whole upper half including stage to get the angle to look through the eyepiece, it's been a good introduction, but I'm ready to not have everything slithering off the stage!

I've seen this Leica DMLB and I'm thinking it might be a good buy, but I have no idea what the automatic stage is like and if that would be a problem for me? I take it the fancy stage is some sort of powered system? Does the condition look a bit suspect? I'm a botanist and also would use the scope for fungi. I'm in UK.

I'd be very grateful if someone could have a glance at the listing and comment, please.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255155193675 ... SwJ1FhRRTq

Sorry, this should maybe have gone in the beginner area.

Hobbyst46

Re: help assessing microscope for purchase

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:19 pm

Interesting list. The motorized stage and the controller are from well known, third-party quality manufacturers.

viktor j nilsson

#3 Post by viktor j nilsson » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:53 pm

The DMLB is supposed to be a very capable scope that can be upgraded to almost any technique you might want, including DIC. The objectives should be truly excellent, which is probably the most important. Trinocular is great. I'd be a little worried about how easy it would be to get the motorized stage working, or what it would cost to get another stage.

But I'd say that that looks like a very good setup.

Since it's sold as 'used' you really don't risk much. If something is broken, you have the right to send it back as it was not as described.

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:58 pm

Hi, conincidentally I'm a maker of Botanical slides, not a professional Botanist - purely an amateur. I'm in Cumbria in the U.K. and am right-now selling-off my entire lab collection of equipment and 2 'scopes. A beautiful Olympus BX50 compound microscope with a full set of UIS2 infinity optics (6 objectives) and a likewise superb Olympus SZH stereo microscope again of the highest quality.
These are both listed on e-bay at this moment, together with other items from Olympus that I've used over my years of Botany and slide-making.
I also have a superb Shandon rotary microtome complete and working (used again by myself to make what now amounds to a few thousand slides) which I am going to list very soon.

It may serve well to have a quick look at my listings, you may fancy something, and to avoid the e-bay system would be a financial bonus to us both.

Here are a couple of links to my items,
Olympus SZH stereo microscope

and,
Olympus BX50 compound microscope

The SZH stand is superb for fungi and live-specimen examination and has the brightfield/darkfield capability and 2 objectives on a revolving changer....
WS700_SZH_ (1).jpeg
WS700_SZH_ (1).jpeg (98.25 KiB) Viewed 5456 times
edited_DSCN1223.jpeg
edited_DSCN1223.jpeg (96.02 KiB) Viewed 5456 times
John B

moletteuk

#5 Post by moletteuk » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:58 pm

Regarding the Leica, do I need to be worried that the 100x and 40x objectives look a bit scratched up? I quick search on ebay suggests having to replace any of them might cost as much as the microscope again?

Does the motorized stage just control x and y? Focusing is still done as normal? If it is fully working is there a disadvantage to it over a normal stage?

Is the Axiocam likely to be too out of date to be useful? Would I be right assuming that the adaptor for the tube would be the right ones to just drop a new camera in if I wanted to?

Thanks for your help.

Hi John, I'm in Cumbria too, the other end to you, small world, we probably have people in common, I'm an amateur botanist, I do some recording. The only problem is your BX50 is quite a bit over what I wanted to spend, although it might be a more sensible choice and it's certainly within travelling distance to save the ebay fees.

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:24 pm

Crikey, that's really a coincidence! What area are you in?

Let me know if you're interested and I'll stop the listing..... I also have phototubes complete that I use with it....

If you search for my posts here you'll find lots of detailed accounts of my plant slide-making, permanently mounted and stained sections!
This 'scope features in a lot of them too.

Good luck with your hunt if you decide elsewhere though.
John B

PeteM

#7 Post by PeteM » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:38 pm

The Leica DMLB looks to be a very good deal with that assortment of objectives. I have two of them, with DIC, and love them.

I'd chance it, were it in the US --- and be prepared to return it if one or more of the more expensive objectives were trashed.

You can easily sell/replace the stage. Could also be the trinocular head would support 22mm FN eyepieces, but the ones with it should give a fine view.

zzffnn

#8 Post by zzffnn » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:22 am

That Leica has nice objectives, but I don't like how the seller wrote down only one sentence as description and doesn't accept returns.

The seller also seems to be a used scope dealer, whose main purpose is to profit from sales. I have seen a similar dealer in person, who leaves high end scopes in warm and humid weather at over 100F degrees. Don't be surprised if you find mold or delamination on optics, not to mention optical misalignment (as scopes get bumped around in tight spaces).

John B is a well-respected botanist microscopist at this forum. His beautiful botany slides show his passion and love of nature and microscopy.

It won't hurt to give John B a visit. If you buy his scope in person outside of eBay, the cost difference won't be much (don't forget there are shipping cost and PayPal fees too). And you would get to test out everything at John's place, before making a decision. Insider experience and skills from JB can be very valuable too and may save you quite a bit.

moletteuk

#9 Post by moletteuk » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:58 pm

Thanks very much to everyone for the input.

I've sent John B a pm.

75RR

#10 Post by 75RR » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:38 pm

moletteuk wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:58 pm

I've sent John B a pm.
Usually takes more than 3 posts to be able to PM someone, if you managed it then great.

If not, since you can receive PMs as a very new member, then perhaps John can send you one with contact details.

As to the microscope, always best to be able to try before buying and purchasing off an enthusiast is always preferable to buying from an auction reseller.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

viktor j nilsson

#11 Post by viktor j nilsson » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:49 pm

I agree that it's worth a lot to be able to buy a known-good from a careful, knowledgeable enthusiast. And based on your shared interests, it seems like you could learn a lot from meeting up with John, who is a great asset to this community.

That said, I feel that it is worth mentioning that the Leica with Plan Fluorites has substantially better optics than the Olympus achromats. Personally, I would almost always go for the scope better objectives, as that tends to be the biggest investment. And eBay has such good buyer protection that the risk is fairly small - if you are able to test them properly within eBay's time window.

No one ever said buying a microscope is easy :? But you definitely have two very good options in front of you.

mrsonchus

#12 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:05 pm

moletteuk wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:58 pm

I've sent John B a pm.
Hello there, I received your pm OK and have sent a (pm) reply.
John B

moletteuk

#13 Post by moletteuk » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:58 pm

While I'm considering John's microscope, I looked into the ebay buyer protection on the Leica and currently it wouldn't be valid as purchase and postage has to be paid for in one transaction, and at the moment the postage is a separate extra. I've enquired further, so we shall see.

moletteuk

#14 Post by moletteuk » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:01 pm

John made me a good offer on his BX50 but the price difference to the Leica and my budget restrictions mean that I have gone for the Leica. The ebay seller sorted out a proper invoice for me showing purchase price and postage payment so it's all covered by ebay buyer protection.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice. I'll probably be back in a couple of days for some guidance on checking it all out. Can't wait!

mrsonchus

#15 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:06 pm

Congratulations, this is where the fun starts!
Your in for a great time I think, with a good quality 'scope to get to grips with.

Looking forward to seeing the new beastie!

Images - loads of pics - you're going to have a great time!
John B

moletteuk

#16 Post by moletteuk » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:11 pm

Thanks so much, John :)

viktor j nilsson

#17 Post by viktor j nilsson » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:32 am

I am glad to hear you got it. You might be in for a surprise or two, but in the end I think you will be extremely pleased with this microscope. Hope it reaches you in good shape! And again - if there are any issues, don't be afraid to take advantage of eBays generous buyer protection policies.