B&L SZ6 plus Parts : is there a source??

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
dazz

B&L SZ6 plus Parts : is there a source??

#1 Post by dazz » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:09 pm

Hi
I found a B&L SZ6 Plus on e-bay which looks good except for a cracked knob.
This is minor, but the cost of shipping to me is so high that at purchase is only worthwhile if it is really good condition/quality.
B&L SZ 6 Plus knob - broken
B&L SZ 6 Plus knob - broken
Untitled.jpg (66.12 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
The graduations mean that I can't just use a similar knob.

Is there a source for spare parts and a reasonable price?

dtsh

Re: B&L SZ6 plus Parts : is there a source??

#2 Post by dtsh » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:04 pm

Someone might have a spare knob left over from a salvaged SZ6. Failing that, any skill with 3D modelling/printing? There are other ways to reproduce a nearly exact copy, but would be expensive for a single project.

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:49 pm

My understanding is the sz6 is not super durable in general. I wouldn't buy one not in pristine condition. That said the quickzoom feature is unique and very neat.

dazz

#4 Post by dazz » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:20 am

Hi
My reading is that the SZ7 is the fragile version. I didn't even know the SZ6+ existed until today.

I have a 3D printer plus milling machines and lathes to make a replacement.
Making something look "factory made" would be the hard thing to do.
Adding the graduations would be time consuming. I don't know if the knob on the left side has graduations.

If I replace the right side, I would want to replace the left as well, otherwise it will just look bad. We all know looks are important :D

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:32 am

dazz wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:20 am
My reading is that the SZ7 is the fragile version. I didn't even know the SZ6+ existed until today.
The sz7 is generally built well, just often exposed to abuse in the industrial settings it was used in. The sz6 is a later entry in the series (actually the last before Leica took over) and built much more delicately. It's a remarkably light microscope and has a consistent reputation for breaking a lot, particularly the internal plastic gears.

dazz

#6 Post by dazz » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:33 am

Hi
Good to know.
I will just have to be patient and wait for the next "good" one.

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:14 pm

When B & L branding was changed over to Leica, the factory was closed and production of remaining B & L/Leica product was done in the AO/Reichert factory along with the remaining Reichert product line, all with Leica rebranding. The remaining B & L branded stock was purchased by I Miller Precision Instruments located near to Philadelphia. They had been Bausch & Lomb's largest dealer but continued as a dealer for the newly merged Leica product line as well.

They may have the part still. They would also be inclined to keep useable parts from scrapped bodies. The go by Microscope Central on line.