Microscope supplies in Toronto

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
shawngibson

Microscope supplies in Toronto

#1 Post by shawngibson » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:24 pm

Hi All,

Are any of you familiar with a brick and mortar store in Toronto that sells things like microscope slides and other microscope/biology supplies? I've had zero luck finding anything.

Thanks,
Shawn

JimT

Re: Microscope supplies in Toronto

#2 Post by JimT » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:08 am

City like that should have many. Search the WEB and specify Toronto.

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:24 am

Hi Shawn...for my astronomy hobby ( from finger lakes /US this day at 3 am...Canis major was high up to my southwest tree line...and the 'bee hive cluster' made me go back indoors to take out the 7X50 binocs...I was up to let the dogs out...not a planed activity)....anyway....please google: Khan Astronomy...I once purchased a ocular for my refractors from this excellent firm...I'm sure they are bricks and motar Toronto...they delve into microscopy...they always advertize in: "Astronomy" magazine.

What sort of microscopy kit do you wish to purchase...lot's of online canadian firms....all the best, charlie guevara, fingerlakes/US.

shawngibson

#4 Post by shawngibson » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:10 pm

Thanks guys:)

Jim - strangely enough, I've had it confirmed by someone in the field (a biology staffer at the University of Toronto) that there are very few places in Toronto.

Charlie, I've been to Khan's website, but there was little mention of supplies. I'll call them.

I did find somewhere for everything except biologicals and chemicals:

https://www.uoftmedstore.com/catalog.sz

Ironically, my mother worked in that building for 20 years and I've been there dozens of times! Full circle, I suppose...

However I'm still stuck ordering online for concave slides, which is my immediate need. Westlab it is, I guess...

Shawn

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:01 pm

Most of the brick and mortar suppliers in Toronto are gone. Edmund Scientific closed up a while ago. Remember, they used to have a giant telescope on their roof? Khan, still exists but they are locked into the same stuff that's on-line, only much cheaper. What you are looking for is a company such as Fisher Scientific , or Northwest , who supply small labs and schools. Fisher , probably has a minimum order , though.
One of the problems with microscope supplies, is that compared to the hobby base for astronomy, microscopy is puny. Most of the stores that do sell microscopy supplies are actually astronomy shops, with enough microscopy sales to make it worth while. Unfortunately, they also usually know diddly about microscopes. I've been to Khan , when they were trying out telescope eyepieces on microscopes and gesticulating about how mentally defective microscope makers were , because they didn't make eyepieces with immense fields of view, like a Nagler. Don't microscope maker's know anything? The concept of corrections, edge to edge sharpness and resolution weren't a factor in their thinking, they were just looking for a breathtaking view , irregardless if there was , actually anything to see; a common feature of amateur astronomy.

I've been around this for a long time and I have pretty much settled on the fact that the best and easiest supply is the web. Sometimes shipping is free or low enough to justify it, it comes to your door too.