FS: SOLD X-Y linear, X-Y tilt, and rotation positioning platform

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
ddy5

FS: SOLD X-Y linear, X-Y tilt, and rotation positioning platform

#1 Post by ddy5 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:55 am

I believe this device was used for positioning samples in x-ray crystallography. The construction is very high-quality: the machining is excellent, I can't feel backlash in any of the adjustments, the movement is smooth in all directions, the engraving is precise. A lovely piece of work.

It provides X-Y linear motion, X-Y tilt, and rotation. It looks like you can adjust the platform height as well, but I haven't played with that. The movement control shafts have square ends, not knobs. I made an adjustment tool with a knob - nothing beautiful, but it works fine. I'll include two of them.

Approximate dimensions: Bakelite base, 55mm; metal base, 35mm; platform, 6.5mm; total height, 72mm

The condition is excellent. There are a few small scratches and some dust. It functions as it should.

[In some of the photos, there appear to be darkened areas. Those are optical effects - there are no stains or smudges.]

Asking price: $200, which includes shipping in the continental U.S. and Paypal fees.
We can discuss shipping to other destinations.
Goni-kit.jpg
Goni-kit.jpg (206.02 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Goni-side-A.jpg
Goni-side-A.jpg (166.98 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Goni-side-B.jpg
Goni-side-B.jpg (170.02 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Goni-side-C.jpg
Goni-side-C.jpg (177.12 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Goni-side-D.jpg
Goni-side-D.jpg (182.94 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Last edited by ddy5 on Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:45 am, edited 5 times in total.

ddy5

Re: FS: X-Y linear motion, X-Y tilt, and rotation positioning platform

#2 Post by ddy5 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:10 am

A bit of additional information:

These were designed for precise positioning, so the excursions are relatively small. I'd guess 5-10 mm in both directions for each of the linear slides. It takes many turns of the knob to get to the full excursion.

Adjustments are very smooth and easy, but without any loose feeling. I have not lubricated any components, and see no reason to do that. The rotation mechanism requires loosening the large knurled base and is not as precise or controlled as the other adjustments. Finer rotation may be available at the top beneath the platform, but I haven't played with that.

It's worth noting that the device is very stable. The machining tolerances must have been quite tight. It's also surprisingly heavy for its size, being made of steel rather than aluminum.

ddy5

Re: FS: (reduced price again) X-Y linear, X-Y tilt, and rotation positioning platform

#3 Post by ddy5 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:38 pm

Anyone tempted at $210?

ddy5

Re: FS: (reduced price again) X-Y linear, X-Y tilt, and rotation positioning platform

#4 Post by ddy5 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:05 pm

How about $200? I've put it up on eBay (at a higher price, of course), but would rather sell it here.