eBay Catch-22 Login Problem

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
biofilmer86

eBay Catch-22 Login Problem

#1 Post by biofilmer86 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:26 pm

I recently got an email from eBay saying my account has not been used in more than 2 years (true) and would be deleted in 30 days for security purposes if I don't login in said 30 days. I had forgotten my password but was able to change it. The problem is eBay now uses text-based verification for added security to verify it is really you. If you created your account and used your land-line phone number in your account information you will not be able to get text notifications to log in and if you can't log in then you can't change your phone number to one that can receive text messages.

This is a known problem in the eBay community: https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Technic ... -p/7228801

MichaelG.

Re: eBay Catch-22 Login Problem

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:01 pm

I had a similar problem [U.K.] when trying to set-up my Tesco Credit Card on ApplePay
Tesco will only send security codes by SMS … unlike PayPal, who will make an automated call to a land-line.

It took a couple of weeks to sort out, because they insisted on sending me a physical letter, by Royal Mail, with a one-time security code [to then use by telephone] to permit me to add an iPhone to my account.
… I live in a cell-phone “not spot” but the iPhone can receive SMS messages using my Wi-Fi and iCloud

The World seems to be going mad … You have my sympathy !

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:30 am

With a lot of: 'jumping through hoops'..I was able to get telephone contact with the ' eBay suits'..here in con-US.

I wonder if OP could have used eBay phone contact to assist with getting account running again..it really is a tedious process to get eBay contact by telephone..but it works in con-US.

I am stunned that MichaelG required snail-mail postal from 'UK-eBay'. charlie g

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:43 am

charlie g wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:30 am

I am stunned that MichaelG required snail-mail postal from 'UK-eBay'. charlie g
Not actually from ebay, charlie g

The snail-mail arrangement was imposed by Tesco Bank [the supplier of my MasterCard]

They posted a special letter, with a tear-off security layer embedded … this revealed the six-digit code required for authorisation of a single telephone call. This arrangement being required for them to have the confidence to add a mobile number to my account.
… I think that, in itself, illustrates how reliant we are becoming on mobiles as “identity”
… I am genuinely torn between being reassured , and being paranoid !

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

biofilmer86

#5 Post by biofilmer86 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:17 pm

Fixed my problem. I logged into eBay with an account that I knew worked (my dad's account) and that reset the login screen for me. Let me explain. eBay keeps track of IP addresses used for each account. An IP address is your computer's exact location in the world wide web. When you use a different computer (can be on the same router) to log in, eBay sees this and sends you an email notification saying a different computer was used to access your account, reminding you to change your password if this wasn't you, etcetera. I try logging into my account today and it gives me a different screen after my password asking if my phone number is correct with the option to change it and save the change. I then reload (refresh) the current page because there is no other way to advance to my account and problem solved. Now I just have to change my user name because it was auto-generated and looks like gobbledygook.