WTB: Olympus BH2-AN Analyser for DIC

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Andruşca

WTB: Olympus BH2-AN Analyser for DIC

#1 Post by Andruşca » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:45 pm

Hi Guys,

I currently own a DIC condenser for an Olympus BH2, but sadly it does not come with an analyser.
I want to ask if anyone has one for sale a BH2-AN analyser with a DIC slider.

Please PM me.

Thank you,
Andrei

deBult

Re: WTB: Olympus BH2-AN Analyser for DIC

#2 Post by deBult » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:05 pm

It took me approx. 10 years to find an “affordable” one, in the end took the plunge and got me a NOS sample from china.

Andruşca

#3 Post by Andruşca » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:48 pm

deBult wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:05 pm
It took me approx. 10 years to find an “affordable” one, in the end took the plunge and got me a NOS sample from china.
Do you have a link ?

Thanks

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:14 pm

Andrei, I believe the BH2-AN is just for the analyzer (a polarizing filter in a slider) and that the BH2-NA is the part you want. In any case, be sure the slider has both a Nomarski prism and an analyzer.

If you can find a clone from a Chinese source, that may be your best option. DeBult - we're both interested in that source. The OEM Olympus DIC slider is difficult to find in an OEM version at a reasonable price. You can buy a complete Olympus BHT or BHS microscope from a reliable US source (he has two), but the cost will be over $9000 with tax and shipping.

In my experience, assuming the Chinese part is just an analyzer and doesn't include the DIC prism (or requires buying a complete scope for compatibility), you may have better luck looking at other brands.

I've seen two or three times the number of offerings, though still scarce, in Leica DM, Nikon Optiphot, Nikon Eclipse, Olympus BX, and Zeiss Standard. The Leica, Nikon, and Olympus infinity versions (DM, Eclipse, and BX) are excellent - likely easier to find, somewhat better, and sometimes cheaper than Olympus BH2.

The Nikon Optiphot is as good as the Olympus BH2, somewhat easier to connect to a variety of cameras, but will only support 10x DIC in some rare versions. Optiphot DIC at 20x, 40x, 60x or 100x is excellent. The rarer form with individually replaceable prisms is even better, but also even harder to find complete than BH2 DIC.

The Zeiss Standard is also excellent - on par with Olympus BH2 if you find one with good components. Slight amounts of prism delamination often don't interfere with the image while helping to lower the cost.

woyjwjl

#5 Post by woyjwjl » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:57 am

The analyzer (polarizer) in b2-na cannot be disassembled and is attached to the top cover of the prism slider box in an inclined manner. I didn't even know it had a separate number.
Attachments
IMG_20220812_193232.jpg
IMG_20220812_193232.jpg (39.74 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

deBult

#6 Post by deBult » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:37 am

If you can find a clone from a Chinese source, that may be your best option. DeBult - we're both interested in that source
The one I bought in China via .Bay was an original Olympus one (NOS: New Old Stock) and came as a full set including condenser etc. All in original (brown box styropor) Olympus OEM packaging. Had to work on the old hardened grease though (may still have pictures on the work done, PM me if interested).

PeteM is right about the part number: BH2-NA (the BH2-AN is a polarisation analyser).

https://www.alanwood.net/downloads/olym ... ctions.pdf

Andruşca

#7 Post by Andruşca » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:00 pm

PeteM wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:14 pm
Andrei, I believe the BH2-AN is just for the analyzer (a polarizing filter in a slider) and that the BH2-NA is the part you want. In any case, be sure the slider has both a Nomarski prism and an analyzer.
I have done some research and found that I require the BH2-AN and the BH2-NA for my condenser. I have found a DIC setup on eBay but it's an AH series, the reason I am saying this is that I found (probably on this forum or another one) that the AH condenser is made for short barrel objectives and the BH2-NIC I have is made for long barrel objectives (Splan Apo's). Please correct me if that's not correct.
I have found two websites that sell the analyzer and DIC slider (to be honest I think is the same seller on two different sites, because it has the same price of $1500+shipping+import tax)

I will keep looking.

deBult

#8 Post by deBult » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:00 pm

Your research may be incomplete: Please look at my earlier link to the Alan Wood site.

1) My BH2 (Long barrel ) DIC set has a BH2-NA analyser, positioned below the Bino/Trino.

2) You do not require the BH2-AN: the 2nd DIC polariser is part of the BH2-NC condensor.

3) The BH2 DIC set is not designed for SPlanApo but for the normal SPlan

Please be informed the short barrel version of the AH (Vanox) and BH DIC analysers are ALSO labeled “NA” but they are not compatible to the BH2 /long barrel set.

The long barrel version of the AH (Vanox) uses the BH2-NA analyzer, but the matching AH condenser does not fit the BH2.

deBult

#9 Post by deBult » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:03 am

Glad to be of service.

woyjwjl

#10 Post by woyjwjl » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:19 am

I admit it is difficult to make comparisons and draw conclusions, but coincidentally, I have both AH and BH2 DIC kits and have obtained test images of both. If anyone is interested, I can publish them.
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

Scarodactyl

#11 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:00 am

woyjwjl wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:19 am
I admit it is difficult to make comparisons and draw conclusions, but coincidentally, I have both AH and BH2 DIC kits and have obtained test images of both. If anyone is interested, I can publish them.
I think that would be of great interest and worthy of its own thread. Please post!

deBult

#12 Post by deBult » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:58 pm

woyjwjl wrote:
Yes please !

Andruşca

#13 Post by Andruşca » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:27 pm

deBult wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:00 pm
Your research may be incomplete: Please look at my earlier link to the Alan Wood site.

1) My BH2 (Long barrel ) DIC set has a BH2-NA analyser, positioned below the Bino/Trino.

2) You do not require the BH2-AN: the 2nd DIC polariser is part of the BH2-NC condensor.

3) The BH2 DIC set is not designed for SPlanApo but for the normal SPlan

Please be informed the short barrel version of the AH (Vanox) and BH DIC analysers are ALSO labeled “NA” but they are not compatible to the BH2 /long barrel set.

The long barrel version of the AH (Vanox) uses the BH2-NA analyzer, but the matching AH condenser does not fit the BH2.
1) I thought the BH2-NA was the tube and the BH2-AN was the name of the adjustable slider (I have researched a lot DIC, but there was missing information and I have "connected the dots" and ended where am now). I am looking for the piece that goes below the Trino head.

3) Well that's not good, is it !? #sarcasm
The condenser comes with Olympus A10PL 0.25 160/0.17 and Olympus A40PL 0.65 160/0.17 objectives. One question about the DIC vs the Phase Contrast setup: Do the DIC objectives specified in the Alan Wood manual have the phase ring on them or are they different types?

There is a lot of conflicting information on the internet between the Alan Wood manual and what I have found online: I have on one website that you can use Splan Apo's for Fluorescence photography, I saw photos with polarized light done with a 4x Splan Apo (and there are objectives designed for polarized light labelled PO)...
deBult wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:03 am
Glad to be of service.
I appreciate it.
woyjwjl wrote:
If anyone is interested, I can publish them.
Please post the link here please, so I can have a look.

Thank you

PeteM

#14 Post by PeteM » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:52 pm

A few added points:

1) As noted above, the "long barrel" version of the Olympus Vanox upper prism will work on BH2. If you have the upper prism slider but not the intermediate piece it slides into, I believe a polarizing intermediate can work.

2) If you have the long barrel Vanox version of the DIC condenser, a fitting can be added to the bottom to adapt it to fit a BH2. I've had and adapted one of these. The only complaint is that the early Vanox long barrel DIC condensers only had 10x, 40x, and 100x DIC prisms (no 20x). Otherwise, excellent DIC at 10x, 40x, and 100x.

3) I don't know if a Vanox "short barrel" DIC setup will sort-of work with long barrel objectives. Since Olympus went to pains to distinguish the two, it's probably off and best used with short barrel Olympus objectives

4) While Olympus SPlan long barrel objectives are spec'd for DIC, the SPlan Apos work OK too. The achromats and DPlan objectives do not. My recollection is that some of the DPlan Apo UVs, but not all, were OK with the standard DIC condenser. A later DIC condenser could support individual prisms that would match.

Andruşca

#15 Post by Andruşca » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:27 pm

PeteM wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:52 pm
A few added points:

1) As noted above, the "long barrel" version of the Olympus Vanox upper prism will work on BH2. If you have the upper prism slider but not the intermediate piece it slides into, I believe a polarizing intermediate can work.

2) If you have the long barrel Vanox version of the DIC condenser, a fitting can be added to the bottom to adapt it to fit a BH2. I've had and adapted one of these. The only complaint is that the early Vanox long barrel DIC condensers only had 10x, 40x, and 100x DIC prisms (no 20x). Otherwise, excellent DIC at 10x, 40x, and 100x.

3) I don't know if a Vanox "short barrel" DIC setup will sort-of work with long barrel objectives. Since Olympus went to pains to distinguish the two, it's probably off and best used with short barrel Olympus objectives

4) While Olympus SPlan long barrel objectives are spec'd for DIC, the SPlan Apos work OK too. The achromats and DPlan objectives do not. My recollection is that some of the DPlan Apo UVs, but not all, were OK with the standard DIC condenser. A later DIC condenser could support individual prisms that would match.
For more clarification this is the description of the item when was sold:
"Olympus NIC/Phase Contrast condenser, the condenser with 4 Wollaston Prisms marked 10, 20, 40 and 100 with 2 phase filters, with Aplanat Achromat condenser, slide in/out polarising filter with centering screws, centering telescope CT-5, auxiliary clamping wrench, Olympus A10PL 0.25 160/0.17 objective in a case, Olympus A40PL 0.65 160/0.17 objective in a case all in original box with original instructions."

With regards to the Analyzer, after extensive searches, I managed to find just the tube but no DIC slider (that is the hardest piece to find).
I have the BH2-KPA tube with its sliders.

Eventually, I found the tube and slider but at 1500 dollars price. I have done the research and the DIC condenser I have, works on the BH2 but with the BH2-NA (Because it is a newer model made in the 80' and the previous model of DIC condensers, the AH version was made in the 70s and was made for the BH models not the BH2). Even in the Alan Wood manual, a BH2 microscope is illustrated to fit the DIC condenser I have.

Images of the condenser I have:

Il research more for fluorescence microscopy. At the moment I want to stay focused on finding this piece. BH2-NA and it's hard to find DIC slider.

Tom Jones

#16 Post by Tom Jones » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:15 am

This just came up. A bit pricy, but given how rare they are...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186288985596

Andruşca

#17 Post by Andruşca » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:41 am

I don’t think there will find one cheaper than this.
The one I found online was around this price, but the one on ebay looks like the turn nob is bent and by the post above by woyjwjl it can’t be opened to be fixed (I like my stuff to be working and looking neat :D ).

Tom Jones

#18 Post by Tom Jones » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:49 pm

The shaft is bent a little. If you look at the video you'll see it work as it should. And they open up just fine. Use a JIS screw driver though so you don't damage the screws. I opened one up I had bought last year to replace a clip that was missing on the end of that shaft. I don't remember how difficult that shaft is to remove, but I think the clip is the only thing holding it in. I'll try to take a look later today.

If you really want one, you might consider just buying it. RTP Microscopes is a dealer and they will accept returns, so you have 14 days to make up your mind.

You should buy it before I do.

Andruşca

#19 Post by Andruşca » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:44 pm

Tom Jones wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:49 pm
If you really want one, you might consider just buying it. RTP Microscopes is a dealer and they will accept returns, so you have 14 days to make up your mind.

You should buy it before I do.
Sadly, I need to hold fire a bit because I paid the same amount for the condenser (in British pounds) and bought 10x and 20x Splan Apo objectives and that put a dent in my finances.
I have researched the DIC since December and didn't expect a slider to pop up that quickly.

If you want it, buy it.

Or not, so I can buy it next month. :D

woyjwjl

#20 Post by woyjwjl » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:40 am

Before that, I would like to emphasize again that I will not have a conclusion and accept any comments.
All I can do is be honest.
Objective lens: Dplan 100 1.25 oil
Same lighting intensity, same focal depth (as much as possible)
AH VS  BH2.jpg
AH VS BH2.jpg (77.34 KiB) Viewed 1973 times
AH on the left side
kit.JPG
kit.JPG (60.77 KiB) Viewed 1973 times
AH adaptation is self-made, this kit is for sale, and the eBay number is sent via private message. Thank you.

fero

#21 Post by fero » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:59 pm

So now I klnow who was the winning bidder on Flints Auction ;-)

Andruşca

#22 Post by Andruşca » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:42 pm

fero wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:59 pm
So now I klnow who was the winning bidder on Flints Auction ;-)
:D