Laminar flow equipment

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Frankiev

Laminar flow equipment

#1 Post by Frankiev » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:08 am

The subject of tissue culture intrigues me and I'm contemplating buying / making a laminar flow hood or cabinet. Does anyone have any experience in this field?
Realistically I would only be interested in UK based suppliers. I'm pretty experienced in a wide range of DIY procedures.
Thanks

Tom Jones

Re: Laminar flow equipment

#2 Post by Tom Jones » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:46 pm

Make sure you're sterile technique is up to speed. Tissue culture is pretty unforgiving when it comes to viral or bacterial contamination.

SuiGenerisBrewing

#3 Post by SuiGenerisBrewing » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:27 pm

Your best bet for DIY option would be one of the HEPA laminar flow systems mushroom growers use. These produce a continuous stream of sterile air that you can work in. Downside is they only protect your samples (and actually blow your samples into your face), so you have to be cautious of what you are culturing. An example build, to give you an idea what is entailed: https://learn.freshcap.com/growing/keeping-it-clean-how-to-design-and-build-a-laminar-flow-hood/

Frankiev

#4 Post by Frankiev » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:10 pm

Thanks for your input.

BadDog

#5 Post by BadDog » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:30 pm

I am planning to build one of these.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/78502280

for eventual mushroom propagation (and agree with SuiGenerisBrewing on what you might be breathing in)
Meanwhile, I think it can help me when I am removing dust from optics :)
I am not so concerned about perfectly laminar flow as long as it is relatively dust free.