Liquidation auctions, etc.

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
tom-in-the-lab

Liquidation auctions, etc.

#1 Post by tom-in-the-lab » Sat May 11, 2024 7:36 pm

I'm curious -- are there particular liquidation/auction sites or types of events that people use to find microscopes and accessories being sold off from (e.g.) biotech startups and companies that are downsizing or going out of business? I get the sense that it's possible to get good stuff for pennies on the dollar if you know where to look, but I don't yet really know where to look.

Some backstory: I'm an assistant professor doing materials science research in an area with a high concentration of biotech companies, and I'm hoping to stretch my budget while outfitting my lab.

PeteM

Re: Liquidation auctions, etc.

#2 Post by PeteM » Sat May 11, 2024 10:23 pm

While there are several sites that list auctions (government, public schools, private businesses, etc.), your ability to effectively participate is likely to be a regional thing. You want to be there to inspect the equipment, carefully pack it up, arrange for shipment, etc. Thus, Craigslist might be your best bet to find regional auctions. Most private auctioneers will post an auction link there.

Here in California - out of dozens of public colleges and universities - most of the microscope-related stuff is apparently offered within the school, sometimes sent to their own surplus operations, and then supposed to go to UC Davis for public auction. If you're local to that school, you can spot bargains, bargain for lower prices, and take care that things aren't damaged or stolen along the way. If you're remote, that's all much harder. Wherever you are, there's likely to be some similar regional wrinkle. If you're lucky, you're near a massive hospital, university, etc., and have a local source. If you're not so lucky and in a microscope desert, you either take massive gambles (and pay exorbitant packing and shipping costs) or buy scopes one at a time.

The semi-good news is that people buying surplus microscopes by the pallet will typically repost them on eBay. At higher prices, of course, but sometimes still a relative bargain compared to a dealer with a physical presence or new.

Goodwill also maintains two sites—one for fixed-price sales and another for auctions. However, research-grade instruments are rarely donated to Goodwill for liability and other reasons.