Wanted - Leitz Orthoplan series 600 condenser

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
mrsonchus

Wanted - Leitz Orthoplan series 600 condenser

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi, having discovered that the 603 condenser on my Leitz Orthoplan is missing it's auxiliary lens which enables it to correctly fill the wide FOV or the Orthoplan widefield 'scope, I now must find another series 600 (e.g. 602 or 603) condenser with a 0.9 n.a. top-lens (although this isn't vital - just the condenser's bottom would do a long as it contains the K4 auxiliary lens needed)...

If it fits and works (i.e. fills the FOV) in a Leitz Orthoplan 'scope then it should be OK for me - and I've got to find one so if you have or know of one let me know!

The auxiliary lens is called a 'K4' - if you have one, or a condenser that has one in it - I'll pay good money for it!
labelled-crop-s-l1600-(1).jpg
labelled-crop-s-l1600-(1).jpg (138.69 KiB) Viewed 6523 times
I need the one marked 'K4' - the 'K1' is not what I'm after.
Thanks,

John B.
John B

Peter

Re: Wanted - Leitz Orthoplan series 600 condenser

#2 Post by Peter » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi John,
Would thishttp://www.ebay.fr/itm/Leitz-Leica-Micr ... Swo4pYHcbZ,
or this http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Leitz-Leica-Micr ... Sw4GVYI6Kj be what you are after.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:15 pm

Peter wrote:Hi John,
Would thishttp://www.ebay.fr/itm/Leitz-Leica-Micr ... Swo4pYHcbZ,
or this http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Leitz-Leica-Micr ... Sw4GVYI6Kj be what you are after.

Hope this helps.

Peter.
Hi Peter - yes the first is the exact K4 I'm looking for - only the auction already ended a while ago...... :cry:

Thanks for the help though, I would have bought it instantly - I nearly cried when I saw the auction has finished...... :cry:

I'll keep looking. :)
John B

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:03 pm

I realize, you just want to get everything up and running, a.s.a.p. but since you are looking for that aux. lens anyway; I'm just wondering if it might not be prudent to look out for a complete higher N.A. achromatic condenser , in order to better utilize the high N.A. of your planapo?

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:11 pm

apochronaut wrote:I realize, you just want to get everything up and running, a.s.a.p. but since you are looking for that aux. lens anyway; I'm just wondering if it might not be prudent to look out for a complete higher N.A. achromatic condenser , in order to better utilize the high N.A. of your planapo?
Yes this would be fine also Apo, but I've only seen 0.9s online and can't tell on any of them if they are from an Orthoplan or have the K4 insert and not one of the others, K1-3...

I'd quite happily buy a whole new condenser if needs-be but can't find one and don't really know exactly what to look for - it's a problem... :cry: Do you have any ideas of one that may be OK for all the objectives including the 1.32 Planapo?
John B

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:37 pm

So, I guess the top lens portion of these, quite nicely, can be removed and replaced with one of a different N.A. or optical design. I see various N.A.s on them for the long focal length ( low mag.) lenses on up to the .90 achromat, which seems to be the one of choice for using with the complete system. If you are also incorporating a very low magnification objective, you need the K4 aux. lens as well.
So, all you really need is the K4 aux. lens and then , if one comes along, a higher N.A. achromatic condenser . What would be nice would be to have the .90 achromat, for general use without oil but have the option to screw on the 1.25 oil achromat for more critical work with the 1.32 planapo. I have yet to see a condenser nose for these that is higher than 1.25 but they must have made them. It would be somewhat outside of the norm for them to have made a 1.32 N.A. planapo without a condenser of at least the same aperture to go with it.

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:18 pm

apochronaut wrote:So, I guess the top lens portion of these, quite nicely, can be removed and replaced with one of a different N.A. or optical design. I see various N.A.s on them for the long focal length ( low mag.) lenses on up to the .90 achromat, which seems to be the one of choice for using with the complete system. If you are also incorporating a very low magnification objective, you need the K4 aux. lens as well.
So, all you really need is the K4 aux. lens and then , if one comes along, a higher N.A. achromatic condenser . What would be nice would be to have the .90 achromat, for general use without oil but have the option to screw on the 1.25 oil achromat for more critical work with the 1.32 planapo. I have yet to see a condenser nose for these that is higher than 1.25 but they must have made them. It would be somewhat outside of the norm for them to have made a 1.32 N.A. planapo without a condenser of at least the same aperture to go with it.
Yes, they also made a 1.4 condenser top-lens - I'll snatch one if I see one! The K4 is the adaptation Leitz introduced to 'convert' the 'std flip-top condenser' to the Orthoplan specifically, as this model was the first with the extra wide FOV and without the K4 the problem I have now manifests - an inability to fill the FOV with light and enable normal use of the condenser.

They also made a K1,2 and 3 for conversions to other 'scopes, such as a change in distance from field iris some 'scopes had....
leitz condenser adapter lenses.JPG
leitz condenser adapter lenses.JPG (64.68 KiB) Viewed 6467 times
The supplier of my Orthoplan (Brunel Microscopes) are now looking for a K4 for me.......

Thanks for the input Apo' :)

John B
John B

MichaelG.

#8 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:19 am

mrsonchus wrote:
They also made a K1,2 and 3 for conversions to other 'scopes, such as a change in distance from field iris some 'scopes had....

leitz condenser adapter lenses.JPG
Thank you for posting that page, John B

Do you happen to have any optical details of the adapter lenses that are listed ?
Given that these adapters are hard to find; I will probably need to experiment with various odd lenses from the scrap-box, and any additional information would be most welcome.

I have a Laborlux ... The 1967 version, I believe.
The condenser is missing its adapter lens, and I cannot therefore set-up Köhler illumination properly.

The cover illustration on the User Manual http://microscope.database.free.fr/512_ ... borlux.pdf indicates a simple plano-convex element but the text provides no detail.

The illustration on page 16 of the 'Overney' paper https://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/im ... es7rev.pdf shows the condenser and an adapter lens, but this is not identified as one of the 'K' series.

It should not be too difficult to find the appropriate focal length empirically; but if anyone could quickly check actual examples of the Leitz adapter lenses, that would be a big help.
... I will, of course, report back if/when I find a suitable element.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Rylander

#9 Post by Rylander » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:29 pm

MichaelG.

#10 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:41 pm

Thanks for the link, Rylander

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'