Regarding the recent ebay fraudulent Amscope listing.

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
apochronaut

Regarding the recent ebay fraudulent Amscope listing.

#1 Post by apochronaut » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:18 pm

Here is the short original thread, regarding this.viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5477

Here is what appears to have happened with this Amscope listing. I bought the item, on Nov. 23. Some time last evening, I received an odd email from some unknown source, and a cryptic email address, pretending to be contact from ebay, which I promptly trashed. This morning, in My Ebay, ebay announced to me that I had received such an email and that it was not from ebay. The listing had been pulled yesterday and the seller's account de-registered.
I'm pretty sure what happened here, is that the listing sellers account had been compromised and the settings changed to send payment to another paypal account. In reviewing the account , it looks like it hasn't been used in a while and the actual owner, Celeste Jenkins, probably doesn't even know what is happening. It seems she hasn't been active for a while but still had one listing for fabric, which is probably legitimate.
Likely, the fraudster is looking around ebay for lapsed accounts, where sellers haven't been active, and haven't been monitoring them, then hacking the account, or it may be related to the ebay hack of a year or so ago. Some people, not using their account much, might not even know about that. Passwords were supposed to have been changed. It's possible that many have been compromised and items being sold are copied listings from other sellers and also likely of many various items. In this case , the actual listing seller, seems to have no interest in microscopes , at all.

billbillt

Re: Regarding the recent ebay fraudulent Amscope listing.

#2 Post by billbillt » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:49 pm

This is nothing more than a simple scam.. Easy to fix by going through the proper channels.. It does not warrant all of this attention... I was able to effect a refund from Ebay in less than ten minutes..

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:28 pm

Thanks for this notice of yet another hack/fraud in our online lives. I might be wrong..but I try and use PayPal for eBay purchases..twice PayPal recovered my funds..and (I sensed?!!) PayPal went after the two fraudsters. Charlie Guevara

billbillt

#4 Post by billbillt » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:35 pm

charlie g wrote:Thanks for this notice of yet another hack/fraud in our online lives. I might be wrong..but I try and use PayPal for eBay purchases..twice PayPal recovered my funds..and (I sensed?!!) PayPal went after the two fraudsters. Charlie Guevara
Yes.. This was an easy fix.. Paypal makes it pretty easy to get a refund..

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Yes; the paypal refund was almost instantaneous. Usually, a refund is extracted from the seller's account. Since in this case, the money probably went to someone who is not registered with ebay, I think the refund actually comes from ebay, itself.

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:44 am

Thanks to all forum members who helped to exposethis fraud and remind us (me at least) to be careful with web purchase deals.