Zeiss small part Needed HELP

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
rs6000

Zeiss small part Needed HELP

#1 Post by rs6000 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:23 pm

Hello everyone I happen to need a Very specific Zeiss proprietary screw have no idea of the part# only its a 6mm Fine thread .5mm pitch
I have attached a photo of it the same part is also used on the condenser stage as the centering screw.

Cheers
Attachments
Set screw.jpg
Set screw.jpg (153.35 KiB) Viewed 5616 times

75RR

Re: Zeiss small part Needed HELP

#2 Post by 75RR » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:59 pm

Does look like a condenser centering screw yet I notice from your photo that your Standard 18 has both of them.
What do you require it for?

Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

rs6000

#3 Post by rs6000 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:17 am

75RR wrote:Does look like a condenser centering screw yet I notice from your photo that your Standard 18 has both of them.
What do you require it for?

Hi thank you
I need it for my Universal Standard rotate Stage that I bought it needs the Lock screw
Attachments
zeiss pol stage.jpg
zeiss pol stage.jpg (230.79 KiB) Viewed 5586 times

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:32 am

It's an uncommon metric thread - most M6 have a 1mm pitch thread. But you might search for "M6 x .5mm thumbscrew" and find something. Some other options:

1) If someone here can't help you, an Ebay seller may have one (typically at an outrageous price).

2) You could find a slightly larger diameter thumbscrew, preferably stainless or chrome plated brass, and re-drill and tap the existing hole for that size. Couple minute job and would work fine - just not OEM. You should shape the end where it bears against the stage (I do it with the screw spinning in a drill and held against a belt sander).

3) Not to hard to make one if you know someone with a metric threading lathe.

4) Could make one yourself. Buy a 6mm rod (few bucks for brass or stainless) and an M6 x .5mm die (maybe $15) and thread a section. Cut it off, rough it up a bit, and embed in knurled knob of your choice using epoxy. Again, shape the end.

5) If you need other parts, buy a wrecked or partially stripped stand that has what you need.

wporter

#5 Post by wporter » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:06 pm

PeteM, that's an excellent and complete summary of the options.

rs6000, if someone here doesn't have a spare screw for you, and you or a friend need to fabricate one, here's a die for only about $6 (wow!):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stock-New-H ... .l4275.c10

rs6000

#6 Post by rs6000 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:47 pm

Thank YOU PeteM and everyone for your suggestions yes I have found that all thumb type screws on the Standards have a VERY fine pitch that in not listed in any US metric threading guide books from starrett etc.
BTW
The screw I posted a picture is actually one of my condenser centering screws and not the exact one that was originally on the front of the rotating Pol stage it happens fit the hole perfectly
And being that the tip is conical and matches the dovetail on the top plate of the stage, I would have to produce exact matching angle to fabricated part as well.

So if anyone has some spare condenser centering screws there the ones in the back not the front that would work perfectly.

Cheers

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Hello rs6000
I have a spare Zeiss condenser centration thumb screw. 6mmx0.5, Total length 50.5mm, conical tip. Length of thread 17mm.
You can have it for a very small fee. The problem is postage. Air postage via EcoPost or EMS to almost anywhere spans the $20-$40.
If interested, and there is none within reasonable distance, you are welcome to PM me.

Edit: having seen 75RR's comment on the type of the required screw, unfortunately my offer will not meet the requirement, it is a plain screw without spring.
Last edited by Hobbyst46 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:22 pm

The screw I posted a picture is actually one of my condenser centering screws and not the exact one that was originally on the front of the rotating Pol stage it happens fit the hole perfectly
And being that the tip is conical and matches the dovetail on the top plate of the stage, I would have to produce exact matching angle to fabricated part as well.
The one on the front of the rotating stage is of the type that has a spring in it, similar to the one that allows you to center the condenser. That is the one you need to be able to center the stage properly.
Attachments
sprung-screw.jpg
sprung-screw.jpg (46.66 KiB) Viewed 5548 times

rs6000

#9 Post by rs6000 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:27 pm

75RR wrote:
The one on the front of the rotating stage is of the type that has a spring in it, similar to the one that allows you to center the condenser. That is the one you need to be able to center the stage properly.
Thank you 75rr Question for you, where would I get such a item looks like I not common part :o

75RR

#10 Post by 75RR » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:08 pm

PeteM's suggestion is a good backup plan:
5) If you need other parts, buy a wrecked or partially stripped stand that has what you need.
Alternatively you can post a photo of your spring loaded centering screw (the one from your condenser) in the parts wanted section in this forum and in https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 1e3896facf
Explain what it is for and say you need a similar one. There are variations in the design but all of them should work.
Tell people where you are located.
Hopefully someone in the US (to keep postage costs reasonable) will respond.

P.S. Test your condenser sprung screw on it just to be sure that it works as it should.

rs6000

#11 Post by rs6000 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:11 pm

75RR wrote:PeteM's suggestion is a good backup plan:
Alternatively you can post a photo of your spring loaded centering screw (the one from your condenser) in the parts wanted section in this forum and in https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 1e3896facf
Explain what it is for and say you need a similar one. There are variations in the design but all of them should work.
Tell people where you are located.
Hopefully someone in the US (to keep postage costs reasonable) will respond.

P.S. Test your condenser sprung screw on it just to be sure that it works as it should.
YEP I already did that, it screwed a little bit but then it BINDs up :x the tip is 3mm and hits the lower stage
I put a piece of paper under it to test the binding and It binds the paper as soon as the 3mm point comes out
so I know that the OEM spring system should have a smaller tip 2mm or so.

OH BTW what type of lube is used on BBs under objective Nose face mine was very dry after I took it apart I used some Li Moly lube and it screwed it up the balls came out after I put it back together Very carefully I have taken a few of them apart in past but never re-lubed any it seem to be a very hard and gluey type dont know what type or where to acquire

75RR

#12 Post by 75RR » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:59 pm

OH BTW what type of lube is used on BBs under objective Nose face mine was very dry after I took it apart I used some Li Moly lube and it screwed it up the balls came out after I put it back together Very carefully I have taken a few of them apart in past but never re-lubed any it seem to be a very hard and gluey type dont know what type or where to acquire
I cant remember what I used - I seem to remember it was a thick grease I had to hand, nothing special. Might be best to post that question separately - you may get more suggestions that way.

Here are some images that might help you locate a sprung screw. (Feel free to re-post them where you will)
By the way, I tried the condenser sprung screw and it does work - you have to screw it in a little less though. (Bit tight so it did take a few goes for it to latch on.)
It does stick out a bit much so best to get the original one if possible.

1) Sprung screw in place.
2) Sprung screw tip width
3) Sprung screw back
4) Sprung screw stage + sprung screw condenser
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (58.3 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (84.21 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (55.4 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (84.24 KiB) Viewed 5484 times

rs6000

#13 Post by rs6000 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:01 pm

Here are my measurements my condenser screw looks different it has a knurled head
Attachments
nogap.jpg
nogap.jpg (269.32 KiB) Viewed 5440 times
Zeisspaper.jpg
Zeisspaper.jpg (188.74 KiB) Viewed 5440 times
Condensor spring.jpg
Condensor spring.jpg (383.82 KiB) Viewed 5440 times
Caliper.jpg
Caliper.jpg (281.24 KiB) Viewed 5440 times

75RR

#14 Post by 75RR » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:18 am

There is some variation in condenser sprung screws - probably in stage sprung screws as well.

The difference between condenser and stage sprung screws lies in the length of the tip, its longer point, and the length of the thread.

As you say there is almost no gap to the bottom plate. That is by design.

Both will work, though as you see the condenser screw is not a perfect fit.

If you want to try it out - make sure to loosen the other two stage screws to make it easier to slide in.

Note: Make sure it is nice and snug with all the screws tightened enough to hold it securely before placing it on the microscope - dropped brass rotating stages do not bounce well!

rs6000

#15 Post by rs6000 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:39 am

75RR wrote:There is some variation in condenser sprung screws - probably in stage sprung screws as well.

The difference between condenser and stage sprung screws lies in the length of the tip, its longer point, and the length of the thread.

As you say there is almost no gap to the bottom plate. That is by design.

Both will work, though as you see the condenser screw is not a perfect fit.

If you want to try it out - make sure to loosen the other two stage screws to make it easier to slide in.

Note: Make sure it is nice and snug with all the screws tightened enough to hold it securely before placing it on the microscope - dropped brass rotating stages do not bounce well!
My tip Point is 3mm in diameter does not looks like yours is it 2mm can you verify with a tool?

cheers 75rr

75RR

#16 Post by 75RR » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:28 am

What did the seller say about the missing screw/screws?

As requested:
As you can see, both are exactly 3mm.
Attachments
stage(-).jpg
stage(-).jpg (74.09 KiB) Viewed 5388 times
condenser-.jpg
condenser-.jpg (78.95 KiB) Viewed 5389 times