Glass-bottomed culture dishes for sale

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
wporter

Glass-bottomed culture dishes for sale

#1 Post by wporter » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:06 pm

I am offering 18 of these little (50mm) plastic-and-glass dishes at cost to the members, since the minimum is somewhat expensive ($100/20) for individuals. Please buy only one or two (unless I complain about no buyers in the next few weeks, lol.) The dish is #14025-20 (Pella stock number; http://www.tedpella.com/section_html/pe ... cess_angle).

They will be listed today on ebay under "Willco Wells dish". The price is $11.00 each (*see new edit below), unless you order more than one; in this case, use the 'cart' to save postage. If that doesn't work I will refund the $3.50 postage per each extra dish. It's a lot for a small styrene dish with a glass bottom, but the resolution I have been getting is great (the heavier pond water items that sink to the bottom are crystal clear); it may be worth it for some of you.

Below is an image of one of them, along with a screenshot of the dimensions from the Pella (the distributor) website; the maker is Willco-Wells ( website: https://willcowells.com/hbst-5030.html). Note that on the W-W website, free samples are offered. If you can convince the maker into sending you some, more power to you; but somehow I think you may have to have an account or be a research lab. Let us know if you are successful!

In the image, the out-of-focus part to the left is the all-styrene lid.

I looked at some Chinese dishes, but didn't like the bottom thickness specs (~0.17-0.22mm); the Pella offering was measured by me to be a consistent 0.178 mm w/ a Starrett digital micrometer.

Let me know here if you have any questions.

Edit: for the time being, this is only for people in the US; I'm not sure of the postage overseas, etc. If you're in Europe, contact the Willco-Wells company, which is in the Netherlands, and see if they can accommodate a small order. If not, maybe I can do something in the next batch (if there is one!)

Edit Fri Aug 24: as mentioned below, I've re-listed the dishes at $7.50 each plus postage to avoid problems (created by me and/or ebay); be assured that any necessary postage refunds will be issued promptly.
Attachments
Pella dish.png
Pella dish.png (49.14 KiB) Viewed 5945 times
P8230009-1024x1024.JPG
P8230009-1024x1024.JPG (66.65 KiB) Viewed 5945 times
Last edited by wporter on Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzffnn

Re: Glass-bottomed culture dishes for sale

#2 Post by zzffnn » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:40 pm

Please add eBay link ;)

wporter

#3 Post by wporter » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:02 pm

Here's the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273423562131?s ... 1555.l2649

I believe that using the cart, to buy more than one, asks me to send you, the buyer, an invoice for total charges; if it doesn't do this automatically, please choose that invoice option, so that I can reduce the total postage (about $3.50 of the $11.00 for one dish) to what more accurately reflects the total for the number of dishes you order & the extra packaging. I.e., if you want two, the postage may be the same for one, etc; I would have to figure it out at the time.
Last edited by wporter on Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:44 pm

You may want to put that to photomacrography. net and Facebook microscopy group as well. Thank you for doing this for the community. I myself do not have an inverted scope to use with those dishes, but I know some members there may want them.

wporter

#5 Post by wporter » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:33 am

Thanks for the tips. I'm not on Facebook (I know, I know: sacrilege!), but I'll put it on photomacro after I see how they move here.

KurtM

#6 Post by KurtM » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:07 am

I got in a rush and sprung for 4 of them before reading your piece on purchasing multiples, hope I didn't just cause you headaches. :oops: :P Lemme know if any wrinkles, and we can sort them out - my email addy is on my sig line.

There's one thing EVERYBODY must understand, and the sooner the better: not EVERYBODY does the Facebook thing, and there is a good solid variety of very excellent and perfectly valid reasons why not, as well as the more iffy ones, plus other just plain lousy ones. Thank you.

PS: Yeah, I can be found on FB, but don't expect a lot of fresh new postings from me there. I know I detest it, rather than only think so. :lol:
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

wporter

#7 Post by wporter » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:40 am

OK, there's already been a hiccup: ebay added postage to Kurt's order; his payment already paid for postage, so he got a big refund!! Congratulations, Kurt, now go buy some lottery tickets!

I've relisted the item at $7.50 per dish (total postage on multiple buys will be calculated by ebay; we'll see how that works.)

Tom Jones

#8 Post by Tom Jones » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks Bill! I've been meaning to look up a source for those.
I just ordered a couple of them from you.

Tom

PeteM

#9 Post by PeteM » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:57 pm

Bill, just a note of thanks. The culture dishes arrived, very carefully packed, and look super useful. Thanks!

wporter

#10 Post by wporter » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:06 am

Thanks, fellas. If anyone takes some good images, please post them.

I still have 10 of them left from this order.

jimur

#11 Post by jimur » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:22 am

@ wporter Thanks for making these available.
"You're never too old to have a happy childhood"
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D