Looking for eyepieces: S-PL 8x/18

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Solar storm

Looking for eyepieces: S-PL 8x/18

#1 Post by Solar storm » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi all!

First time poster. I have become very fond of the vintage Zeiss S-PL line. I have most, but I do not have the 8x/18. So if anyone knows where I can find them or has one or ideally 2 that they are looking to sell, let me know.

Thanks!
Greg

apochronaut

Re: Looking for eyepieces: S-PL 8x/18

#2 Post by apochronaut » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:58 pm

That designation on the eyepieces you note are a new one to me but then I am not particularly knowledgeable about Zeiss. Can you tell me what S-PL stands for?

Solar storm

#3 Post by Solar storm » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:16 pm

apochronaut wrote:That designation on the eyepieces you note are a new one to me but then I am not particularly knowledgeable about Zeiss. Can you tell me what S-PL stands for?
These eyepieces are a discontinued photographic eyepiece. I also looked it up but i have not actually found the exact meaning of S-PL. They came in 3 magnification versions: 12.5, 10, and 8.

viktor j nilsson

#4 Post by viktor j nilsson » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:18 pm

These eyepieces seem popular for use with astronomical telescopes. I'm guessing that that is your intended application?

Solar storm

#5 Post by Solar storm » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:20 pm

viktor j nilsson wrote:These eyepieces seem popular for use with astronomical telescopes. I'm guessing that that is your intended application?

My little obsession began as a use for telescopes. Sometime ago it grew into more of a collector’s interest. It is a lot of fun to test these Zeiss eyepieces in telescopes however. The craftsmanship is truly amazing.

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:04 pm

Prior to the digitization of aerial reconnaissance, the U.S. and others of course used high resolution stereo aerial photographs, analyzed ( hope there is no hidden meaning there) through specialized stereo microscopes mounted on a specialized Richards light table upon which the stereo photos were mounted.
Bausch & Lomb mfg. the high resolution 240Z rhomboid stereo microscope for this purpose and the kit was supplied with several sets of eyepieces of various designs and uses. One of the sets was the 15X u.w.f., which have an exceptionally wide field for their focal length and barrel diameter. The barrel size is the standard 23.2mm R.M.S. size and the 15X magnification would correspond to around a 20mm f.l. I don't have any way of using microscope eyepieces in a telescope but I always wondered how these would work in a binocular head, mounted to a telescope.
The angular f.o.v. is identical to the research grade Meade 20mm wide angle I use sometimes.....70 degrees, I am pretty sure.. These are very high resolution eyepieces.