Ultraphot II Carl Zeiss asking price?

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Ryan

Ultraphot II Carl Zeiss asking price?

#1 Post by Ryan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:40 pm

I am a researcher from a university that would like to fund some optical parts by selling an old micrscope system that we do not use anymore:

I have a UltraPhot II Carl Zeiss micrscope with a lot of accessories (+8 objectives) in relative good condition from our lab (see pictures). We want to get rid of it (university lab), what can one ask realistically for such a system? It is located in Eindhoven, The Netherlands.

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Attachments
accesories
accesories
IMG_1324a.jpg (407.35 KiB) Viewed 4617 times
System
System
IMG_1322a.jpg (420.34 KiB) Viewed 4617 times
Last edited by Ryan on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

75RR

Re: Ultraphot II Carl Zeiss asking price?

#2 Post by 75RR » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:46 pm

You need to state where the microscope is located.

Something that big is most probably collection only, which would limit your customer base.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

billbillt

#3 Post by billbillt » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:27 pm

"You need to state where the microscope is located."

"It is located in Eindhoven, The Netherlands."

BillT

billbillt

#4 Post by billbillt » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:30 pm

Hi,

That is a wonderful old Zeiss.. I have no idea what it would be worth, but it would be substantial..

Regards,
BillT

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:57 pm

Seems to me a lot would depend on what those eight objectives are? They probably merit a full description, especially if at the top end.

Photomicroscopes add a lot of bulk and weight that's unnecessary in this digital age. So, I'd agree with the notion that it would likely have to be collector (with a fair amount of space) to fetch top price. Would also think that it's a good idea to sell it sooner than later to get whatever the value it may have -- I'd guess there isn't a large crop of classic Zeiss and film photo collectors coming up after the Baby Boomers?

Someone like MicroBob might know what European Ebay sites might help fetch full value? It is a marvel.

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:05 pm

This microscope was obscenely expensive when new but it is equaly unattractive for the user and most collectors today. So I think it will be the best to describe it precisely with all it's accessories (inscriptions and part numbers and condition) and list it on ebay. Since there is only one person every 500km or so that could be willing to give it shelter it would also be good to state shipping fees to a couple of destinations like Germany, Austria, England, Switzerland, Italy and Spain. I think in the end this will be honoured with a good price.

One should also take into account that it gives a very bad karma to cannibalize an Ultraphot. :twisted:

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:19 pm

I suggest you do not auction it. See below. If you do, make sure you set a starting price you can live with.

I would think that patience is the key to getting a fair price when selling an Ultraphot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Ultrapho ... 7675.l2557 (scroll down)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carl-Zeiss-U ... :rk:3:pf:0
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Metford

#8 Post by Metford » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:54 pm

Hi Ryan,

Did you sell your Ultraphot 2?