SOLD -- Wild M3 stereo microscope on custom stand

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Scarodactyl

SOLD -- Wild M3 stereo microscope on custom stand

#1 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:04 pm

Wild M3 stereo scope
250 plus shipping or best offer. It weighs 16 pounds for reference on shipping.
This is a classic Wild M3 (the original, not the b, c or z). It has a step mag changer with three settings, 6.4x, 16x and 40x. It has a non-plan achromat objective built on, meaning that there is visible pincushion distortion, mostly at 6.4x. Still, the image quality is quite nice. They made these babies to last, and as far as I can tell it's in as good condition now as it was when it was first shipped all those decades ago. Note that it is currently equipped with generic third party eyepieces that probably aren't helping the distortion any--I have a single original Wild eyepiece for it which is included, so you only need to track down one more to have a complete set.
The base is a home-made affair in steel with a bit of aluminum and brass in the adapter. It is very solid and hefty and should last forever.
Honestly I picked this up because it was a good deal and I wanted to try making a base for it, but I have so many stereo scopes that it doesn't fill any niche I really need, and I just got an m650 body that I plan to build into a very similar system.