SOLD Leitz Ortholux fluorescence microscope

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Scarodactyl

SOLD Leitz Ortholux fluorescence microscope

#1 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri May 03, 2019 7:31 am

Hi everyone. I recently got this scope as part of a pallet of equipment. I took the objectives off to try and generate some more microscope money, but I wanted to put this up here in case anyone was interested in taking up a project.

SOLD
Located in North Carolina.

So, it's a trinocular Leitz ortholux. It has the original SLR attachment, with a 10x periplan eyepiece and 0.32x reducer to get it to the right magnification. I suspect this combination would be good for a full frame dslr as well, but I don't know for sure. The lower lamp house for brightfield illumination works. The mercury arc lamp does not power on. I don't know what the issue is.
The scope has several hand-written notes on it about operation that are all faded. One on the front says "for fluorescence use filter 3" which I guess is good to know. Needless to say, if you get the mercury lamp working, DO NOT burn your eyes out with it--make sure you have your filters straight and know how to operate it properly.

I took off the high power nice objectives (sorry) but it does come with a single slightly weird Leitz 10x marked Pv 10:1 A=0.25 170/- . I think the system is meant for 160mm objectives, and this wont' be parfocal with 160 ones obviously. Still, it is a start. I think there is some real potential here for a nice setup for someone, but I don't have the time or inclination for it myself. I have a mitutoyo finescope head in questionable condition coming in soon that will be taking up my time, and anyway high pressure UV lamps scare me. If you're really interested but 200 is too much just let me know, I want this to end up in good hands.
Last edited by Scarodactyl on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

luxikon

Re: Leitz Ortholux fluorescence microscope

#2 Post by luxikon » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:03 pm

Hi,

this is a Leitz Ortholux 2 and it is actually meant for 170mm objectives.
But you can use all Leitz 160mm objectives above (and including) 16x with it without any loss of quality.

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:30 am

I am guessing that you are not in the UK ... but could you please tell us your approximate location, for future reference.

Thanks
MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:06 pm

That's a pretty key detail, isn't it?

It's located in North Carolina in the US, so UK shipping could be inconvenient.

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:14 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:That's a pretty key detail, isn't it?

It's located in North Carolina in the US, so UK shipping could be inconvenient.
:(
'fraid so ... inconvenient, and prohibitively expensive once Her Majesty's Customs and Excise gets involved.

I hope it finds a good home somewhere more local.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Sabatini

#6 Post by Sabatini » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:49 pm

Scarodactyl.
Cordial greetings
I just bought a Mitutoyo finescope fs100 microscope. But I can't get any information about what its capable to do, I can't find any user or technical manuals
Any information on this would be very interesting and helpful
Thank you

Scarodactyl

#7 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:20 am

Sabatini wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:49 pm
Scarodactyl.
Cordial greetings
I just bought a Mitutoyo finescope fs100 microscope. But I can't get any information about what its capable to do, I can't find any user or technical manuals
Any information on this would be very interesting and helpful
Thank you
Hello.
I'm afraid mi e is just an fs50, which is a much more basic model. The mitutoyos are exceptional for reflected light work--I'm sure you have run into the regendary reputation of their m plan apo objectives. I think the fs100 has reflected farkfield capabilities as well. You mentioned in your post it also has the uwf eyepieces, which are maybe the widest FoV of any microscope available. It likely also has the capability to get polarization or reflected DIC, depending. It is an extremely high end industrial scope, so if you can get it working I think you will have a blast with it.

Sabatini

#8 Post by Sabatini » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:01 am

Scarodactyl
Thank you very much for your attention.
I'm already very advanced in the restoration and cleaning of the Mitutoyo, but now I'm stuck in this step of the project, because I do not dare to touch the half mirror, please, if you can tell me the steps I should take for cleaning, because it has pleanty of fungus and now I'm very worried and undecided about what I should do at this point.

Scarodactyl

#9 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:50 am

Is that for the coaxial illuminator? Gentle cleaning with lens cleaning solution and fresh swabs would probably be fine. The fungus may have already done permanent damage anyway. But I had mixed luck with the one in my fs50, so some more research would be a good idea